Power involved in running upstairs

In summary, the conversation was about a student jogging upstairs and the power expended while working against gravity. The conversation also touched on the concepts of force, work, power, and potential energy. Through the discussion, it was determined that the student gains potential energy as they climb and this can be calculated using the law of conserved forces. The final answer was found to be simpler than initially thought.
Capncanada

Homework Statement

A 65 kg student jogs upstairs from the first floor to the sixth, a vertical distance of 17.6 m, in 65 s. Find the power the student expends working against gravity (In kW.)

Homework Equations

F=m*A
W=F*d
P=W/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried solving here but didn't know how to incorporate gravity into this, got a crazy answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
So power is in Watts, which is Joules per Second. What does the student gain when (s)he runs upstairs?

The student would gain height as they climbed.

But why is it hard work going upstairs, but not down them?

Because gravity is weighing down on you as you ascend. I understand it physically, but I don't know where to incorporate g mathematically.

If you lift a weight up into the air, what (other than height) are you giving it? If you drop it, it gains kinetic energy, but where does that energy come from?

Sorry that it appears I'm taking a really roundabout route with this; I'm trying to get you to come up with the answer!

It gains potential energy as it gains height, so can I use the law of conserved forces?

Excellent, yes it does. So you should be able to calculate how much energy the student has gained, and you know how long it took...

Got the right answer, thank you. That was a lot simpler than I thought it was... lol

These things often are!

1. How does running upstairs require more power than running on a flat surface?

Running upstairs requires more power because you are overcoming the force of gravity to lift your body weight vertically. This requires more energy compared to running on a flat surface where the force of gravity is not as significant.

2. What muscles are primarily involved in running upstairs?

The primary muscles involved in running upstairs are the quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, and glutes. The quadriceps are responsible for extending the knee, while the hamstrings assist in bending the knee and hip. The calves help to push off the ground, and the glutes stabilize the hips and pelvis.

3. Does body weight affect the amount of power needed to run upstairs?

Yes, body weight does affect the amount of power needed to run upstairs. The more body weight you have, the more force of gravity you need to overcome, and therefore, the more power is required to climb the stairs.

4. What is the role of momentum in running upstairs?

Momentum plays a crucial role in running upstairs. As you climb the stairs, your body builds momentum, which helps to carry you upward and conserve energy. This is why it is easier to run upstairs compared to walking, as you can use your momentum to propel yourself forward.

5. Can running upstairs improve cardiovascular fitness?

Yes, running upstairs is an excellent form of cardiovascular exercise. It increases your heart rate and breathing, which improves the efficiency of your heart and lungs. It also helps to strengthen and condition your leg muscles, leading to better overall fitness.