Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power loss between the electricity meter and the building

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    The hydro meter for my house sits on a pole at the front of my property (5.5 acres) approximetly 200 - 250ft from my house I cant give you the wire size that runs under ground.
    My question is: Is there a loss of power in the distance from the meter to the house and would this result in my house consuming more power than needed.
    I have noticed when a motor starts ie the A/C there is a faint diming of the lights.

Probaly a stupid question I know I thought I should ask those who know

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

wirenut

Gold Member

Re: power loss between the hydro meter and the building

On any long run there is always a voltage drop, but a properly designed service will size the conductors to minimize that drop. I don't know where you are (I assume Canada by the use of the word hydro. Sorry if I am wrong.), but in the NEC they recommend a 3%-5% drop.There are calculations using conductor length, material, area, typical current load... etc. Any large draw(a/c, compressor, electric heat) will cause a drop in voltage on the mains, causing a dimming of the lights. There are recorders that can be used to track the voltage, current, power factor, apparent power, real power and can graph them for you. It is an expensive piece of equip. and takes someone experienced to read the output, but the info is invaluable.

If the dimming isn't too bad and isn't causing problems like premature lamp failure, motor or compressor failure, etc , you probably don't need to worry about it.

Your best bet is to find a good electrician in your area and have him look at it. Without a wire size, and accurate length, current draw, and what the wire is (Cu or Al) it would be just a guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook