Power loss in a transmission line

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving ABCD-Parameters for a two port network. The person posting is having trouble with part c and has provided the full solution but only needs help with that specific part. They also mention not understanding the information regarding A, B, C, and D and recommend typing everything out instead of writing it by hand. They provide equations and suggest solving for certain variables to get the answers.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2018-12-3_22-24-41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-12-3_22-25-13.png

I have posted the whole solution so it is more complete, but I really only need help with part c (I think)

My output power is higher than my input power, I'm not sure where I'm going wrong

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_22-24-41.png
    upload_2018-12-3_22-24-41.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 786
  • upload_2018-12-3_22-25-13.png
    upload_2018-12-3_22-25-13.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 661
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what the information regarding A, B, C and D means. Do they refer to a diagram or is this some standard notation for such problems?

haruspex said:
I have no idea what the information regarding A, B, C and D means. Do they refer to a diagram or is this some standard notation for such problems?
I believe they refer to the ABCD-Parameters for a two port network:
upload_2018-12-4_14-38-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_14-38-15.png
    upload_2018-12-4_14-38-15.png
    1,017 bytes · Views: 353
I'm sorry but I can't make out your writing. You should type everything in unless you have particularly large and clear writing. You don't have to learn latex necessarily; click on the summation sign (upper case sigma) for lots of symbols.

You can solve for V1/I1 and V2/V1 with I2 = 0 in the post 3 equations to get all the answers.

rude man said:
unless you have particularly large and clear writing.
Even then, it is hard making comments on lines of algebra in the middle of images (unless the equations are numbered in the image).

1. What is power loss in a transmission line?

Power loss in a transmission line refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated as heat during the transmission of electricity from one point to another. This loss is caused by various factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance in the transmission line.

2. What causes power loss in a transmission line?

Power loss in a transmission line is caused by several factors, including resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of electricity in the transmission line. Capacitance and inductance, which are inherent properties of the transmission line, can also contribute to power loss. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can affect the efficiency of the transmission line and lead to power loss.

3. How is power loss in a transmission line calculated?

Power loss in a transmission line can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is the power loss in watts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula takes into account the relationship between current, resistance, and power in a transmission line.

4. What are the effects of power loss in a transmission line?

The effects of power loss in a transmission line include a decrease in the amount of electricity that reaches the intended destination, as well as an increase in the cost of electricity due to the wasted energy. Power loss can also lead to voltage drops, which can affect the performance of electrical equipment and cause power outages.

5. How can power loss in a transmission line be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce power loss in a transmission line, including using materials with lower resistance, increasing the size of the transmission line to reduce resistance, and implementing power factor correction to reduce the effects of inductance and capacitance. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the transmission line can also help identify and address any issues that may be contributing to power loss.