Power of a sine wave

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
Hello,

What is the formula to calculate the power (W) of a sine wave electrical signal traveling through a wire if I know the frequency, voltage, and current?

Thanks,
Jason O

Answers and Replies

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You need to know the phase angle.
Unless you just want to know how much power the wire is consuming.
In which case you need R_wire.

berkeman
Mentor
If the voltage and current are in phase (your load is resistive only), then the power is just P = V * I, independent of frequency.

berkeman said:
If the voltage and current are in phase (your load is resistive only), then the power is just P = V * I, independent of frequency.
So you are saying that a wire carrying 100 volts at 60Hz has the same amount of power as a wire carrying 100 volts at 120Hz or 1kHz (assuming the same load in all three cases)? I heard somewhere that if you double the frequency of the wave, that the power is 4 times as much, is that true?

Thanks,
Jason O

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, it's not.
Wave shape will make a difference in power.
Frequency only becomes important (if the load is resistive) as it gets high enough for the skin effect to make a significant contributation.

Since you seem primarily interested in coils then note that P=V * I does not apply to what you are doing.

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Nice pages es1.
Since the OP seems to be contemplating square waves the page 2 doesn't really apply to him.

A square wave reflects the sum of a large number of
different frequency sine waves.
This can be tricky in inductive circuits.

Perhaps Jdo should coinsider geting a function genenerator that can produce sine waves.