Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a sine wave

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    Hello,

What is the formula to calculate the power (W) of a sine wave electrical signal traveling through a wire if I know the frequency, voltage, and current?

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to know the phase angle.
    Unless you just want to know how much power the wire is consuming.
    In which case you need R_wire.

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If the voltage and current are in phase (your load is resistive only), then the power is just P = V * I, independent of frequency.

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4
    So you are saying that a wire carrying 100 volts at 60Hz has the same amount of power as a wire carrying 100 volts at 120Hz or 1kHz (assuming the same load in all three cases)? I heard somewhere that if you double the frequency of the wave, that the power is 4 times as much, is that true?

Thanks,
    Jason O

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not.
    Wave shape will make a difference in power.
    Frequency only becomes important (if the load is resistive) as it gets high enough for the skin effect to make a significant contributation.

Since you seem primarily interested in coils then note that P=V * I does not apply to what you are doing.

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6

es1

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7

es1

9. Oct 9, 2006 #8

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice pages es1.
    Since the OP seems to be contemplating square waves the page 2 doesn't really apply to him.

A square wave reflects the sum of a large number of
    different frequency sine waves.
    This can be tricky in inductive circuits.

Perhaps Jdo should coinsider geting a function genenerator that can produce sine waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?