1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a wave in a string

1. Aug 19, 2015 #1
    Hi, friendsi! My text of physics, Gettys', shows how the energy, both kynetic and potential, of a small element ##\Delta x## of a string, through which a wave (whose wave function is ##y:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}##, ##(x,t)\mapsto y(x,t)##) runs, is:

##\Delta E=\Big[ \frac{1}{2}\mu\Big(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\Big)^2+\frac{1}{2}F\Big(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\Big)^2 \Big]\Delta x##​

where ##\mu## is the linear density of the string and ##F## is its tension. Opportune approximations are made to get this result.

By using an explicit notation for the variables, I would say that the formula means

##\Delta E=\Big[ \frac{1}{2}\mu\Big(\frac{\partial y(x_0,t_0)}{\partial t}\Big)^2+\frac{1}{2}F\Big(\frac{\partial y(x_0,t_0)}{\partial x}\Big)^2 \Big](x-x_0)##​

Everything clear to me until here.
    Then, from the formula, my book infers that "the energy propagates along the string with velocity ##v=\Delta x/\Delta t##" and "the power of th wave is ##P=(\Delta E/\Delta x)(\Delta x/\Delta t)##" i.e.
    ##P=v\Big[ \frac{1}{2}\mu\Big(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\Big)^2+\frac{1}{2}F\Big(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\Big)^2 \Big]##​
    but I do not understand this step, because I do not understand what ##\Delta x/\Delta t## really is... I mean: the ##x## in the expression of ##\Delta E## is not a function of time and ##\Delta E## is defined for any choice of ##x##, ##x_0## and ##t_0## in ##\mathbb{R}##, and ##y## is defined on all ##\mathbb{R}^2##, and not only for ##x=vt##, therefore I do not see how we can define ##\Delta x/\Delta t##, which I explicitly write as ##(x-x_0)/(t-t_0)##, as a well defined velocity, since we cannot consider it as ##(x(t)-x(t_0))/(t-t_0)##: ##x## and ##t## can be arbitrarily chosen and ##x## is not a function of ##t##...

Could anybody explain that step to me? I ##\infty##-ly thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2015 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

In the notation ##v = \Delta x/\Delta t##, ##x = x(t)## is usually the position of a point of fixed phase in the traveling wave, e.g., a wave crest. That might help you to interpret the rest of the notation...

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much, oliversum! The problem is that ##y(x,t)##, a wave function, is defined on all ##\mathbb{R}^2##, not only for some ##x=x(t)##: the ##x## in its argument can be any real value independently from ##t##...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook