Power percentage, square wave, Fourier series

In summary, the question is asking for the percentage of power contained up to the third harmonic of a square waveform with a duty cycle of 0.5. After some calculations, the correct answer is determined to be 95%.
Jd303

Homework Statement

What is the percentage of power (out of the total power) contained up to the third harmonic (power in DC component, a1 , a-1 , a2 , a-2 , a3 , a-3 ) of the square waveform shown above? (the duty cycle = D = τ/T0= 0.5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey all,
The following question refers to the attached diagram. I thought the question was simple enough due to the amplitude being 1, and the value of D being 0.5.

The simplified formula I calculated for the answer is 2/(k*pi) for odd harmonics (as even values of k result in a value of 0)

-However when adding 2/pi and 2/(3*pi) i get 0.8488 and hence 84.9%

However the multiple choice answers are 96.7, 95, 72.5 and 73.3%

I am not sure whether this is a simple mistake or a large misunderstanding of the theory.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• square_wave_002.jpg
    square_wave_002.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 734
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jd303 said:

Homework Statement

What is the percentage of power (out of the total power) contained up to the third harmonic (power in DC component, a1 , a-1 , a2 , a-2 , a3 , a-3 ) of the square waveform shown above? (the duty cycle = D = τ/T0= 0.5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey all,
The following question refers to the attached diagram. I thought the question was simple enough due to the amplitude being 1, and the value of D being 0.5.

The simplified formula I calculated for the answer is 2/(k*pi) for odd harmonics (as even values of k result in a value of 0)

-However when adding 2/pi and 2/(3*pi) i get 0.8488 and hence 84.9%

However the multiple choice answers are 96.7, 95, 72.5 and 73.3%

I am not sure whether this is a simple mistake or a large misunderstanding of the theory.

Any help would be much appreciated!

The waveform looks like it also has a DC component...?

Sorry only just starting out this topic, would the DC component be 0.5? How does this component chang emy calculations?

BTW, that article was the first hit on the list of my Google search for square wave harmonics amplitude. :smile:

Yes I have actually looked at that page, but it just isn't clicking, here is my understanding.
-The zero harmonic is the DC component and hence 0.5
-Even harmonics have a value of 0
-Odd harmonics have a value of 2/(pi*n)
-Total amplitude is 1
-So percentage power should be ((2/pi) + 2/(3*pi))/1 = 0.8488

Jd303 said:
Yes I have actually looked at that page, but it just isn't clicking, here is my understanding.
-The zero harmonic is the DC component and hence 0.5
-Even harmonics have a value of 0
-Odd harmonics have a value of 2/(pi*n)
-Total amplitude is 1
-So percentage power should be ((2/pi) + 2/(3*pi))/1 = 0.8488

That page is listing voltage component values. How is the power related to the voltage?

P = (V^2)/R
Hence power percentage would be 0.8488^2.!
Hopefully I have finally gotten that one right! Thanks for your persistence with me

:smile:

i think its
(2/pi)^2 + (2/3pi)^2
divided by
(2/pi)^2 + (2/3pi)^2 +(2/5pi)^2 + (2/7pi)^2

which gives you 95%

1. What is power percentage?

Power percentage is a measure of the amount of energy that is being transferred or used in a system, expressed as a percentage of the total energy available.

2. What is a square wave?

A square wave is a type of periodic waveform that is characterized by its equal amplitude and duration of positive and negative cycles, resembling a square shape.

3. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different amplitudes and frequencies, also known as harmonics.

4. How is power percentage related to square waves?

Power percentage is used to measure the efficiency of a square wave signal in carrying energy, as it represents the ratio of the power of the square wave to the total power available.

5. How are Fourier series used in analyzing square wave signals?

Fourier series are used to decompose a square wave signal into its constituent harmonics, allowing for a better understanding of the frequency components and energy distribution within the signal.