Power percentage, square wave, Fourier series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
Jd303
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the percentage of power (out of the total power) contained up to the third harmonic (power in DC component, a1 , a-1 , a2 , a-2 , a3 , a-3 ) of the square waveform shown above? (the duty cycle = D = τ/T0= 0.5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



Hey all,
The following question refers to the attached diagram. I thought the question was simple enough due to the amplitude being 1, and the value of D being 0.5.

The simplified formula I calculated for the answer is 2/(k*pi) for odd harmonics (as even values of k result in a value of 0)

-However when adding 2/pi and 2/(3*pi) i get 0.8488 and hence 84.9%

However the multiple choice answers are 96.7, 95, 72.5 and 73.3%

I am not sure whether this is a simple mistake or a large misunderstanding of the theory.

Any help would be much appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • square_wave_002.jpg
    square_wave_002.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 852
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jd303 said:

Homework Statement



What is the percentage of power (out of the total power) contained up to the third harmonic (power in DC component, a1 , a-1 , a2 , a-2 , a3 , a-3 ) of the square waveform shown above? (the duty cycle = D = τ/T0= 0.5)

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



Hey all,
The following question refers to the attached diagram. I thought the question was simple enough due to the amplitude being 1, and the value of D being 0.5.

The simplified formula I calculated for the answer is 2/(k*pi) for odd harmonics (as even values of k result in a value of 0)

-However when adding 2/pi and 2/(3*pi) i get 0.8488 and hence 84.9%

However the multiple choice answers are 96.7, 95, 72.5 and 73.3%

I am not sure whether this is a simple mistake or a large misunderstanding of the theory.

Any help would be much appreciated!

The waveform looks like it also has a DC component...?
 
Sorry only just starting out this topic, would the DC component be 0.5? How does this component chang emy calculations?
 
BTW, that article was the first hit on the list of my Google search for square wave harmonics amplitude. :smile:
 
Yes I have actually looked at that page, but it just isn't clicking, here is my understanding.
-The zero harmonic is the DC component and hence 0.5
-Even harmonics have a value of 0
-Odd harmonics have a value of 2/(pi*n)
-Total amplitude is 1
-So percentage power should be ((2/pi) + 2/(3*pi))/1 = 0.8488
 
Jd303 said:
Yes I have actually looked at that page, but it just isn't clicking, here is my understanding.
-The zero harmonic is the DC component and hence 0.5
-Even harmonics have a value of 0
-Odd harmonics have a value of 2/(pi*n)
-Total amplitude is 1
-So percentage power should be ((2/pi) + 2/(3*pi))/1 = 0.8488

That page is listing voltage component values. How is the power related to the voltage?
 
P = (V^2)/R
Hence power percentage would be 0.8488^2.!
Hopefully I have finally gotten that one right! Thanks for your persistence with me
 
i think its
(2/pi)^2 + (2/3pi)^2
divided by
(2/pi)^2 + (2/3pi)^2 +(2/5pi)^2 + (2/7pi)^2

which gives you 95%