Power Question: How Much Power Does a 120-V Light Bulb Use?

• Thread starter Aprilshowers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: If the light bulb, which is a pure resistor, is drawing .5 amps (RMS) with 120 volts (RMS) across it, it is consuming 60 watts of power (RMS). There is always a 0 phase shift if the load, like a light bulb, is a pure resistor. AMI didn't read the specific first post and I saw a couple of bumbling post on P = IV in regards to AC, and so I posted the formula. I was speaking of other examples when I said that the cos(phase shift) was an important term.
Aprilshowers
Question:
How much power does a light bulb connected to a 120-V outlet use if it draws .5A of current?
My answer is:
P=1.V
=.5 x 120
=60Watts
Does that look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aprilshowers said:
Question:
How much power does a light bulb connected to a 120-V outlet use if it draws .5A of current?
My answer is:
P=1.V
=.5 x 120
=60Watts
Does that look correct?
Yes. I think you meant P = IV

AM

As your output uses Alternating Current. Just make sure that the values for voltage and current you have there are RMS (root mean square). The definition for real power is the integral of the dot product of voltage and current over time. RMS simplifies this however. By dividing the peak values by square root two, you can do simple multiplication and the equation P = IV still applies.

Nonetheless, I am happy to say that the 120-V rating in most European/North American homes is the RMS value.

Last edited:
It doesn't say about alternating current.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It doesn't say about alternating current.

Daniel.
I can't say I know of many 120VDC outlets around...

If you are dealing with alternating currents the equation becomes:

P = I.V.cos(h)

Where h is the phase shift between the graph of voltage and of current.

-NewScientist

NewScientist said:
If you are dealing with alternating currents the equation becomes:

P = I.V.cos(h)

Where h is the phase shift between the graph of voltage and of current.

-NewScientist
There is a 0 phase shift between voltage and the current passing through a light bulb, which is resistance with virtually 0 reactance.

AM

Exactly, but there is not always 0 phase shift, that is why in that case cos (h)=1 as h = 0. Therefore the result can be simplified to IV.

In some cases cos(h) is not 1 as the phase shift is not 0 and so this ter mis useful.

-NewScientist

NewScientist said:
Exactly, but there is not always 0 phase shift, that is why in that case cos (h)=1 as h = 0. Therefore the result can be simplified to IV.

In some cases cos(h) is not 1 as the phase shift is not 0 and so this ter mis useful.

-NewScientist
If the light bulb, which is a pure resistor, is drawing .5 amps (RMS) with 120 volts (RMS) across it, it is consuming 60 watts of power (RMS). There is always a 0 phase shift if the load, like a light bulb, is a pure resistor.

AM

I didn't read the specific first post and I saw a couple of bumbling post on P = IV in regards to AC, and so I posted the formula. I was speaking of other examples when I said that the cos(phase shift) was an important term.

Oh and if it were a flourescent lamp it wouldn't be in phase.

-NewScientist

Last edited:

1. How is power measured in a light bulb?

Power in a light bulb is typically measured in watts (W), which is a unit of electrical power equal to one joule per second.

2. What is the formula for calculating power?

The formula for calculating power is P = I x V, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and V is voltage in volts.

3. How much power does a 120-V light bulb use?

A 120-V light bulb typically uses around 60 watts of power. This can vary depending on the type and efficiency of the bulb.

4. How does the power of a light bulb affect its brightness?

The power of a light bulb directly affects its brightness. The higher the wattage, the brighter the light will be.

5. Is power consumption the same as power usage?

Yes, power consumption and power usage refer to the same thing - the amount of power being used by a device or appliance.