Power series: How would you write this off as?

The series converges for all nonzero x. Your lecturer should have told you that.In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a power series and the attempt to find its limit. The conversation discusses using the derivative and the ratio test for absolute convergence. The final conclusion is that the power series converges for all nonzero x and the limit is zero for all finite x.
Archy
So. There's this question about power series that will eventually take the form of

p= |x| lim n->inf | nn / (n+1)(n+1) |

But of course, in a futile attempt at a solution I tried doing the derivative for both functions. Didn't get anywhere of course.

Knowing that eventually the answer is x= inf or undefined, I tried to write the equation off as thus:

p= |x| lim n->inf eln (nn / (n+1)(n+1))
p= |x| lim n->inf eln n ln n- n ln (n+1)- ln (n+1)

Which will of course eventually lead to something along the lines of
p= |x| lim n->inf einf

Which... Effectively writes the whole equation off as p= inf. Convenient but not convincing.

Help here please, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Archy said:
So. There's this question about power series that will eventually take the form of

p= |x| lim n->inf | nn / (n+1)(n+1) |

But of course, in a futile attempt at a solution I tried doing the derivative for both functions. Didn't get anywhere of course.

Knowing that eventually the answer is x= inf or undefined, I tried to write the equation off as thus:

p= |x| lim n->inf eln (nn / (n+1)(n+1))
p= |x| lim n->inf eln n ln n- n ln (n+1)- ln (n+1)

Which will of course eventually lead to something along the lines of
p= |x| lim n->inf einf

Which... Effectively writes the whole equation off as p= inf. Convenient but not convincing.

You should be a bit more careful about the limit. The second line above should read

p= |x| lim n->inf en ln n- n ln (n+1)- ln (n+1)

As a first step to computing the limit you should compare [tex]n \ln n[/tex] to [tex]n \ln(n+1)[/tex]. I don't believe that your stated result is correct. Of course saying anything about the value of |x| would require more information about the value of p than you've given.

Sorry about that. Was a typo.
anyway the question requires us to find the range of x in which the power series converges.

original equation is an=xn/nn
By the ratio test for absolute convergence,
p= limx->inf |an+1/an|
p= limx->inf | [xn+1/ (n+1)(n+1)] x [nn/xn] |
p= |x| limx->inf nn/(n+1)(n+1)

And it continues to it's current state.
The value of p is anonymous and dependent on x.

The answer is that for all values of x, the series diverges.

Again, be very careful when computing the limit. I'm not sure where you got the answer, but this series converges for finite x and this ratio test proves it. You can also use a comparison with the series based on [tex]b_n = (1/2)^n[/tex] to find an upper bound of 3/2 for your series evaluated at x=1.

Whoops.
Anyway I rang up the lecturer and the answer was actually, p is infinite for all x but the series converges for all values of x.
Sorry again about that.

Archy said:
Whoops.
Anyway I rang up the lecturer and the answer was actually, p is infinite for all x but the series converges for all values of x.
Sorry again about that.

What you're saying makes no sense. If p were infinite, the series would diverge for all nonzero x. What happens is that limit is zero, so p is zero for all finite x.

1. What is a power series and how is it written?

A power series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a multiple of a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. It is written in the form of ∑n=0∞ anxn, where an represents the coefficient of the nth term and x is the variable.

2. What is the purpose of using a power series?

Power series are used to approximate functions that are difficult to evaluate directly. They allow us to find the values of a function at any point within its domain by plugging in the value of x into the series. This can be useful in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges; if it is greater than 1, then the series diverges; and if it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

4. What is the difference between a power series and a Taylor series?

A power series is a type of series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, while a Taylor series is a type of power series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms specifically centered around a point (usually denoted as a). In other words, a Taylor series is a power series that is centered around a specific value, while a power series does not necessarily have a center point.

5. Can any function be represented as a power series?

Not all functions can be represented as a power series. The function must be analytic, meaning it can be expressed as a power series with a positive radius of convergence. This means that it must be infinitely differentiable at every point within its domain. Functions that are not analytic, such as step functions or piecewise-defined functions, cannot be represented as a power series.