Power Series Solution of y''+(x^2)y=0: Is it Possible?

In summary: The first sum you wrote had x^m in it, which is obviously wrong. The second sum you wrote had x^m+2 in it, which is the correct answer.
sigma128
y''+(x^2)y = 0
I tried to solve this problem using Power Series.But i can't make the solution in the form of series that have only two constants(a0,a1)that is, there are a0,a1, a2, a3. So i just wonder how can i make it has two constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to show us how you got 4 different constants in order to show where the error occurred.

sigma128 said:
y''+(x^2)y = 0
I tried to solve this problem using Power Series.But i can't make the solution in the form of series that have only two constants(a0,a1)that is, there are a0,a1, a2, a3. So i just wonder how can i make it has two constants.

Do you need to get a series solution? If not, if you substitue [tex]y'' = r'[/tex], it seems it becomes a simple separation of variables problem.

how can i post some method or my idea solving the problem.what programm needed to do that

PS to..EugP , i want the series solution because my teacher want :smile:

sigma128 said:
how can i post some method or my idea solving the problem.what programm needed to do that

PS to..EugP , i want the series solution because my teacher want :smile:

I was hoping you wouldn't, because I haven't learned series solutions yet :frown:
So, sorry but I can't help.

You don't need any program to show us your work, just use LaTeX:

https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

Good luck!

thank you very much

EugP said:
Do you need to get a series solution? If not, if you substitue [tex]y'' = r'[/tex], it seems it becomes a simple separation of variables problem.

Reduction of order won't work, as you have the second derivative and the function.

To solve it with power series, you must take [itex]y(x)=\sum_0^\infty a_n x^n[/itex], so

[tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty n a_n x^{n-1},[/tex]

[tex]y''(x)=\sum_{n=2}^\infty n (n-1) a_n x^{n-2}.[/tex]

If you plug it in the ode, you'll obtain the following equation:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty n (n-1) a_n x^{n-2}+\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+2}=0,[/tex]

therefore, you'll have to change the index in the sums in order to have the same powers of [itex]x[/itex] in both sums. To do that, take [itex]n=m+4[/itex] in the first sum. The equation becomes

[tex]\sum_{m=-2}^\infty (m+4) (m+3) a_{m+4} x^{m+2} + \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+2}=0.[/tex]

Writing down the first two terms of the left sum and factorizing, we have

[tex]2 a_2+6 a_3 x + \sum_{n=0}^\infty [(n+4) (n+3) a_{n+4}+a_n]x^{n+2} =0.[/tex]

The only way the equation is going to be fullfilled is that [itex]a_2=a_3=0[/itex], since there is no constants or first order powers under the sum sign. Hence,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty [(n+4) (n+3) a_{n+4}+a_n]x^{n+2} =0,[/tex]

wich gives the recurrence relation

[tex]a_{n+4}=-\frac{a_n}{(n+4)(n+3)}.[/tex]

Now, I've already done the hard part. You have to take it from here. To construct the first solution take [itex]a_0=1,a_1=0[/itex]. To construct the second solution take [itex]a_0=0,a_1=1[/itex] (why?). From the relationship above, it's easy to see that the condition [itex]a_2=a_3=0[/itex], makes a hole bunch of terms to be zero, so you only have to calculate two general terms.

Good luck.

Last edited:
oh i see,thank you.but u make little mistake after u take n=m+4 ,right? please check it.now i try to think why a0=0,a1=1 and vice versa

What mistake? Could you point it out please?

hmm,now the mistake disappear!.Last time i saw that after u take n=m+4 the first sum u wrote the power of x =x^m which was wrong! but now it is x^m+2 ,that's right.i guess u may edit it already or my sight was wrong at that time.Anyway,thank you for your work.

Last edited:
No problem :)

i don't understand why you can take a0=0,a1=1 and vice versa

You can take them to be any thing you want- they will be the constants you get integrating. Taking them to be 1 and 0 (and then 0 and 1) means you can just multiply the solutions you get by C1 and C2 to get the general solution.

It would help a lot if we could see what you know (or think you know) about this kind of problem. Is there any reason why you won't post your original solution to the problem as the first response asked?

just look at it. it says y'' is x^2 times y. how often does the degree of a derivative go up instead of down?

well at least that says it is not a polynomial. but doesn't it also say it isn't a powers eries? i mean look at the lowest degree term. multiplying it by x^2 is quite different from differentiating it twice.

try a laurent series. does anything help?

just set y = a0 + a1X + a2X^2 +..., multiply by -x^2
and set equal to y''.

i guess that's what you did. but what happened? what puzzling thing occurred?

I normally refer to Michael D. Greenberg, Advanced Engineering Mathematics for solving mathematical problem. It is suggested that we use the following change of variables
t=x^2/2 , u =x^(-1/2)y
to convert y''+(x^2)y = 0 into a Bessel equation.

The solution will be
y = x^(1/2) ( A J_1/4(x^2/2) + B J_-1/4(x^2/2) )
where A and B are constants and
J_1/4 (t) is the Bessel function of the first kind, of order 1/4.

1. Is a power series solution always possible for the equation y''+(x^2)y=0?

Yes, a power series solution is always possible for this equation since it is a second-order linear differential equation with a polynomial coefficient. This means that the coefficients of the equation can be expressed as polynomials in x, allowing for a power series solution.

2. What is a power series solution?

A power series solution is a method of solving a differential equation by expressing the unknown function as an infinite sum of powers of the independent variable x. This allows for an approximate solution to be found by truncating the series at a finite number of terms.

3. How is a power series solution obtained for y''+(x^2)y=0?

The power series solution for this equation can be obtained by assuming that the unknown function y can be expressed as a power series in x, substituting this into the equation, and equating coefficients of the same powers of x on both sides. This will result in a recurrence relation between the coefficients, which can be used to find the values of the coefficients.

4. Can a power series solution be used for any differential equation?

No, a power series solution can only be used for certain types of differential equations, such as linear equations with polynomial coefficients. It is also important to check the convergence of the series to ensure that the solution is valid.

5. What is the advantage of using a power series solution for y''+(x^2)y=0?

The advantage of using a power series solution is that it allows for an approximate solution to be found, which can be more easily calculated and manipulated than the general solution. It also provides a way to find the behavior of the solution near specific points, such as x=0.