Power strip causing electronic damage?

In summary, there is no real difference in terms of damage to an electronic device whether it is unplugged and re-plugged from a power strip or if the power strip is switched on or off. However, it is recommended to switch off or unplug the device before switching off the power strip to avoid any potential power spikes. The term "power strip" is commonly used in North America, but there are other terms used in different regions such as "power board" and "multi-box."
dmehling
This is a very basic electronics question, so I hope this is an appropriate forum.

When an electronic device is plugged into a power strip, does it make any difference to the device whether it is unplugged and re-plugged from the power strip or if the power strip is switched on or off. I have someone telling me that the life of a piece of electronic equipment is being shortened by switching the power strip on and off. They insist that I should only unplug and re-plug the power adapter of this piece of equipment. Is there a real difference with a relatively new power strip?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have someone telling me that the life of a piece of electronic equipment is being shortened by switching the power strip on and off. They insist that I should only unplug and re-plug the power adapter of this piece of equipment.

Greetings :smile:

Switching the power strip on and or compared to plugging and unplugging a plugpack should not make any difference in the way being suggested.

Any damage to any device plugged into the power strip via a plugpack "should" under normal circumstances be protected from power spikes by the power supply circuitry in the plugpack

That being said ... personally I would always make a habit of switching off the device or unplugging it from the plugpack before switching off the power strip or unplugging the plug pack

as an aside ... out of curiosity ... power strip ... is that a Nth American slang term ?
in Australia they are called power boards, In New Zealand ( when I lived there) we used to call them multi-boxes. Then when I moved to Australia, I had to get used to a new term :smile:

cheers
Dave

dmehling said:
This is a very basic electronics question, so I hope this is an appropriate forum.

When an electronic device is plugged into a power strip, does it make any difference to the device whether it is unplugged and re-plugged from the power strip or if the power strip is switched on or off. I have someone telling me that the life of a piece of electronic equipment is being shortened by switching the power strip on and off. They insist that I should only unplug and re-plug the power adapter of this piece of equipment. Is there a real difference with a relatively new power strip?
Is there something more you haven't told us? Maybe your advisor was talking about the case where there are multiple devices plugged into the one strip, and switching the strip OFF before unplugging one means all the other devices are repeatedly subjected to needless ON/OFF stresses?

NascentOxygen said:
Is there something more you haven't told us? Maybe your advisor was talking about the case where there are multiple devices plugged into the one strip, and switching the strip OFF before unplugging one means all the other devices are repeatedly subjected to needless ON/OFF stresses?

I reckon you have it sussed, N.O.

If the device has its own on/off switch, if would be good practice to switch that off before unplugging it, to avoid somebody getting a surprise (or an injury) when they plug it in again!

In the UK it is quite common and legal for household power sockets to have no switch on the socket (e.g.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/MK-13A-Unswitched-Dbl-Socket-K781PPK/p/195081 from a UK nationwide chain of DIY shops), and there is no logical difference between that type of socket and plugging into a live power strip.

davenn said:
as an aside ... out of curiosity ... power strip ... is that a Nth American slang term
Yes, but apparently it isn't universal here: my girlfriend grew up 40 miles from where I grew up and calls it a strip-of-plugs. Descriptive, but sounds vaguely dirty if you say it too fast.

You're telling me nobody commonly calls them a relocatable power tap?

1. Can a power strip cause electronic damage?

Yes, a power strip can potentially cause electronic damage if it is overloaded or if there is a power surge. This can happen when too many devices are plugged into the power strip, or when there is a sudden increase in the electrical current.

2. How do I know if my power strip is causing damage to my electronic devices?

There are a few signs that may indicate your power strip is causing damage to your electronics. These include: devices not turning on or functioning properly, burning smells or sparks coming from the power strip, or frequent tripping of the circuit breaker.

3. Is it safe to leave my electronic devices plugged into a power strip when not in use?

It is generally safe to leave electronic devices plugged into a power strip when not in use, however, it is recommended to unplug them during severe weather or when leaving for an extended period of time. This can help prevent potential damage from power surges or electrical fires.

4. How can I protect my electronics from power strip damage?

To protect your electronics from power strip damage, it is important to use a high-quality power strip with surge protection. Additionally, avoid overloading the power strip by plugging in too many devices or using extension cords.

5. Can a power strip cause a fire?

Yes, a power strip can potentially cause a fire if it is overloaded, damaged, or used improperly. It is important to regularly check your power strip for any signs of wear or damage, and to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for use.