Power Supplied by the Leftmost element

In summary: Thanks! I am still fairly new at Circuit Theory, so I am kind of struggling! But hey, practice makes perfect!
Mosaness
1. Determine the power supplied by the leftmost element in the circuit

Homework Equations

Power = Voltage ( Current)

The Attempt at a Solution

As power = voltage (current), that is the equation that will be used. The leftmost element shows a current of 2 AMPS entering through the negative node and a voltage of 2V.

Therefore the power ought to be :

P = (-2A)(2V) = -4W

I just wanted to know if I did this correctly as we do not have a solutions manual for the book we are using.

Attachments

• CircuitTheory.png
    CircuitTheory.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 766
Physics news on Phys.org
The question asked how much power it was supplying (eg to the rest of the circuit). That would be +4W.

CWatters said:
The question asked how much power it was supplying (eg to the rest of the circuit). That would be +4W.

I am still slightly confused as to why that would be so? Why 4 W. Why not -4W? We were told in class that it could be a negative power as well.

Is it because both the current and the voltage are entering trough the negative node?

Mosaness said:
I am still slightly confused as to why that would be so? Why 4 W. Why not -4W? We were told in class that it could be a negative power as well.
The element on the left has a terminal marked +. Its current is shown leaving that terminal, flowing through a circuit external to that element, to return to its negative terminal. That represents power output from that element, the element is doing work, delivering energy to the external circuit. It's precisely how a battery-powered circuit is drawn, showing current emerging from the battery's + terminal.

Were the current to be drawn reversed, so that it enters the element at its + terminal, that represents work being done on that element, the external circuit is forcing current into the element's + terminal and doing work on it. That's a typical arrangement when a secondary battery is being recharged. So power coming from the element would be negative (because power is going to it, not from it).

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
The element on the left has a terminal marked +. Its current is shown leaving that terminal, flowing through a circuit external to that element, to return to its negative terminal. That represents power output from that element, the element is doing work, delivering energy to the external circuit. It's precisely how a battery-powered circuit is drawn, showing current emerging from the battery's + terminal.

Were to current to be drawn reversed, so that it enters the element at its + terminal, that represents work being done on that element, the external circuit is forcing current into the element's + terminal and doing work on it. That's would be a typical arrangement when a secondary battery is being recharged. So power coming from the element would be negative (because power is going to it, not from it).

And the Voltage is also shown leaving the positive terminal, which gives us a positive power correct?

Mosaness said:
And the Voltage is also shown leaving the positive terminal, which gives us a positive power correct?
We don't usually speak of a voltage moving or leaving. Current being comprised of a flow of charge carriers can be pictured as moving or leaving. Voltage is present at a point, it exists at a point (and is measured relative to the voltage at another point).

But yes, the voltage at the + terminal is positive (with reference to the other terminal), and current at the + terminal is in the positive direction for doing positive work. With voltage and current both being positive, so is power! :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
We don't usually speak of a voltage moving or leaving. Current being comprised of a flow of charge carriers can be pictured as moving or leaving. Voltage is present at a point, it exists at a point (and is measured relative to the voltage at another point).

But yes, the voltage at the + terminal is positive (with reference to the other terminal), and current at the + terminal is in the positive direction for doing positive work. With voltage and current both being positive, so is power! :smile:

Thanks! I am still fairly new at Circuit Theory, so I am kind of struggling! But hey, practice makes perfect!

What is "Power Supplied by the Leftmost element"?

"Power Supplied by the Leftmost element" refers to the energy or electrical power that is provided by the element located on the far left side of a circuit or system.

Why is the power supplied by the leftmost element important?

The power supplied by the leftmost element is important because it is the starting point of the circuit or system, and it determines how much energy will be available for the rest of the components.

How is the power supplied by the leftmost element calculated?

The power supplied by the leftmost element is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current of the element. This can be represented by the formula P = V x I, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

Can the power supplied by the leftmost element be increased?

Yes, the power supplied by the leftmost element can be increased by either increasing the voltage or the current of the element. However, this should be done carefully as it can potentially damage the circuit or system if the power exceeds the capacity of the other components.

What are some common problems with the power supplied by the leftmost element?

One common problem with the power supplied by the leftmost element is voltage drop, which occurs when the voltage decreases as it travels through the circuit. This can lead to a decrease in power supplied to the other elements. Another problem is circuit overload, which happens when the power supplied by the leftmost element is too high for the other components to handle. This can cause damage to the circuit or system.