Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Power supply voltage homework

1. Jun 30, 2006 #1
    Need a little help here....getting started. I don't really understand what to use here.

If two 1000W toasters were to be connected in series to a dc power supply, what power supply voltage would be neccessary for normal operation? Assume each toaster was designated to a 120V ac circuit.

A. 110V
    B. 120V
    C. 170V
    D. 240V

I'm guessing it is above 120V...so C or D. Just because I know that dc power takes more voltage to get 120V to ac.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Find the resistance of the toasters, and solve for the DC voltage necessary to have each dissipate 1000W.

- Warren

4. Jun 30, 2006 #3
    Ok....so here is what I did.

2000W/240V = 25/3.......using P=IV

2000W/(25/3)^2 = 28.8Ohm......using P=I^2R

Now, using R = V/I........28.8Ohm * (25/3) = 240 V

Is that right?? If so.....then my answer would be D.

5. Jun 30, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with your answer. I would have calculated the resistance for each toaster independently, though.

Also, I strongly suggest using units more often. Intermediate answers like "25/3," without units, make your work hard for anyone to follow, including yourself.

- Warren

6. Jun 30, 2006 #5
    Warren.....I do use units a lot, but am unfamilar with these electric units.....I didn't know what my units were on the 25/3....was it still ohms?

7. Jun 30, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Power / voltage = current (in amperes). Ohm's law, which you quoted as "P = IV," has power in watts, potential difference in volts, and current in amperes.

- Warren

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook