Power System Fault Phasor Diagram

In summary, current lags voltage and the direction of current is assumed positive in the question. If the fault takes place at F1, current is feeding into the BUS A. It is like a generator delivering power to bus A----> So Vf1 lags If1. When the fault takes place at F2, F2 point is like a load taking power from generator----> So Vf2 leads If2. So VF1 leads If1 and VF2 leads If2.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-28_12-0-26.png

Homework Equations

If load is inductive current lags voltage. If load is capacitive voltage lags current

The Attempt at a Solution

Current lags voltage since wire is inductive.
So IF1 lags VF1 and IF2 lags VF2
But book says answer is C
Why should VF1 lag IF1? This will happen only if load is capacitor. But that is not mentioned in question.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-28_12-0-26.png
    upload_2017-12-28_12-0-26.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,402
Physics news on Phys.org
Do these faults take place at the same time so there's one solution,
or do they occur individually so there's two separate solutions ?

What direction of current is assumed positive ?

old jim

They haven't mentioned anything. Only this question. I found two solutions from internet. One says:
When fault takes place at F1, current is feeding into the BUS A. It is like a generator delivering power to bus A----> So Vf1 lags If1
When fault takes place at F2, F2 point is like a load taking power from generator----> So Vf2 leads If2
So they've said C is the right answer.

Other website said that fault always takes reactive power so Vf1 will lead If1 and Vf2 will lead If2
I also think this should be the right answer but many internet sites said the earlier one is the right answer i.e option C. I didn't understand that underlined part above.

I guess the faults take place independently. That is why they say 'if the fault takes place at location F1' in the question.

jim hardy said:
What direction of current is assumed positive ?

make that what direction is shown positive ? Look at your diagram.

I guess positive current is from left to right. Since voltage at A is leading voltage at B, so active power will flow from A to B (Don't know about reactive power) (assuming Ea = Eb).

You're almost there. Draw phasor diagram ?

I did that. Still not getting answer C.
upload_2018-1-1_10-25-28.png

In both cases the fault current lags the voltage at bus A.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-1_10-24-31.png
    upload_2018-1-1_10-24-31.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 523
  • upload_2018-1-1_10-25-14.png
    upload_2018-1-1_10-25-14.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 509
  • upload_2018-1-1_10-25-28.png
    upload_2018-1-1_10-25-28.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 500
Haste makes waste. I think your diagram is less than rigorous in assigning current directions.
upload_2018-1-1_4-56-22.png

But current is defined in problem statement as what flows at bus A which is in between the two fault locations.

upload_2018-1-1_4-54-36.png

Will current there not flow toward the fault ?
If so,
In one case does it flow through A left to right , same way arrow is pointing, and in other case through A right to left, opposite the arrow ?
What would that do to its phasor?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-1_4-54-36.png
    upload_2018-1-1_4-54-36.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 424
  • upload_2018-1-1_4-56-22.png
    upload_2018-1-1_4-56-22.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 456
Likes jaus tail
Wow... This was so difficult. How do I go through all this in the exam. I couldn't have thought of this during the exam.
upload_2018-1-1_20-44-37.png

Is my above phasor right? What would the Ea be? Is that Va or Vf1?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-1_20-44-37.png
    upload_2018-1-1_20-44-37.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 483
Keep your thinking simple.
jaus tail said:
What would the Ea be?
What is voltage at location of the fault ? Does EA matter at all ?

jaus tail said:
Is my above phasor right?
With no labels i don't know what it is that you drew.
upload_2018-1-1_18-48-37.png

Aha there's your next thought step.
What is the current flowing through A to reach the fault ?
Negating AC current shifts its phase 180 degrees, doesn't it ?

Think in simple steps. Write them out one per line.
That's probably the point of this homework problem.

Good luck in your studies. Remember, success is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration . So orderly disciplined thinking is your best ally.

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-1_18-48-37.png
    upload_2018-1-1_18-48-37.png
    687 bytes · Views: 389
Likes jaus tail
Thanks. Is this the right phasor?
upload_2018-1-2_11-6-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_11-2-1.png
    upload_2018-1-2_11-2-1.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 484
  • upload_2018-1-2_11-6-45.png
    upload_2018-1-2_11-6-45.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 481
jaus tail said:
Thanks. Is this the right phasor?
upload_2018-1-2_11-6-45-png.png

Red line represents what ? I thought the fault was at F1 not at bus A.

I(FA) looks like a reasonable guess since we don't know the angle δ .so can't draw a phasor for VA.If V(f1) is zero why does your Black V(f1) phasor have nonzero length ? Are you saying it's the voltage at the fault, its lowercase "f" distinguishing it from voltage at bus A which has uppercase" F" VF1 ?

Were your fault at bus A then the voltage there would be zero. But there's some fraction of line impedance between Bus A and fault F1 .

Current through A is pushed toward the fault F1 by EB. Voltage at bus A, confusingly named VF1 instead of VBusA, is therefore nonzero.
It'll be some fraction of EB by voltage divider action. So we could draw a phasor for it . We could call it either VBusA, or VF1 .. It'll have same phase as EB just shorter length.

Were your black phasor labelled EB and VF1's phasor just a portion of EB 's i'd like your diagram a lot better.

Brown IF1 looks okay, i think you see that it has to be drawn up not down because of the current directions assigned.

That rigorous attention to detail is what it takes to get through EE. You'd best develop the self discipline now.
It's easy to do. What is difficult is to overcome our desire to leap straight to an answer instead of walking there one little step at a time..
That's mental laziness - recognize it as forbidden fruit .

This problem really boils down to basic circuit analysis. Be attentive to labels and assigned polarities and the algebra will work out.

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_11-6-45-png.png
    upload_2018-1-2_11-6-45-png.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Likes jaus tail
Yeah i drew fault at wrong place. Red line should be at a bit left.

I understand the pressure of university level coursework. They feed it to you fast.

It seems counterintuitive at first to work slow and methodical . Simple problems can often be done by inspection.
As the coursework subjects grow more complex 'slow and methodical' becomes a must.
Remember the fable of "Tortoise and Hare"..

old jim

Likes jaus tail
Thanks.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a power system fault phasor diagram?

A power system fault phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the voltage and current phasors at different points in the power system during a fault. It helps to analyze the behavior of the system during a fault and identify the location and type of fault.

2. How is a power system fault phasor diagram created?

A power system fault phasor diagram is created by plotting the voltage and current phasors at different points in the power system on a complex plane. The phasors are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the angle representing the phase angle of the voltage or current.

3. What information can be obtained from a power system fault phasor diagram?

A power system fault phasor diagram can provide information about the type of fault (such as short-circuit or open-circuit), the location of the fault, the magnitude and direction of fault currents, and the behavior of the system during the fault.

4. How is a power system fault phasor diagram useful in fault analysis?

A power system fault phasor diagram is useful in fault analysis as it helps to identify the location and type of fault, which is crucial for determining the appropriate protection and corrective measures. It also provides insight into the behavior of the system during the fault, aiding in the analysis of system stability and reliability.

5. Are there any limitations of using a power system fault phasor diagram?

While a power system fault phasor diagram is a useful tool in fault analysis, it has some limitations. It assumes a balanced three-phase system and does not consider the effects of harmonics. It also does not account for the dynamics of the system and only provides a snapshot of the system during the fault.