[Power system] The choice of transmission line

In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of 1000MW of power over a 500km distance using a 400kV transmission line. The individual is unsure if their proposed design, which includes L6 pylons and 4x400mm2 ACSR 75* conductors, is correct. They suggest adding a second conductor per pole or using a larger conductor to reduce voltage drop and line losses. They also mention the need for real-life experiences and regulations in their report.
JJ91
Hi,

I'm kind of struggling on finding information regarding the transfer of 1000MW to a load located 500km away.

As far as 400kV transmission line is considered I can't find a design similar to these therefore would anyone be able if the following would be correct:

Assumption:
(using ERACS)
- L6 pylons
- 4x400mm2 ACSR 75*
- Double circuit
- Ignoring magnetic effects etc. (only power flow study)

Initial test to transfer 1000MW with double circuit has showed an error because of unacceptable voltage drop of 0.36pu, where acceptable range is set default in ERACS to 0.2.

Therefore can I put another conductor in parallel to each side ? This will make a set of 8x400mm2 conductors in each side.

The idea is that the report doesn't have to include much details regarding the choice but I still would like to refer to some real-life experiences/regulations.

Thanks,
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unfamiliar with your conductor size and code reference. You may be talking a 2-pole DC line. But generally speaking, to reduce the voltage drop to acceptable levels, which is largely due to the wire resistance at the calculated current, you are correct that you can add a second conductor per pole , or use a larger conductor, to reduce the drop and line losses. Many high voltage transmission lines use 2 or 3 or more conductors per pole ( or per phase if 3-phase AC transmission). I'm not an electrical type, though, so I can't help much with calcs.

What factors should be considered when choosing a transmission line for a power system?

When choosing a transmission line for a power system, several factors should be considered. These include the distance the power needs to travel, the amount of power that needs to be transmitted, the terrain and environment of the transmission route, the reliability and cost of the transmission line, and the potential for future upgrades or expansions.

What types of transmission lines are commonly used in power systems?

The two most commonly used types of transmission lines in power systems are overhead lines and underground cables. Overhead lines are typically used for long-distance transmission, while underground cables are more commonly used for shorter distances and in urban areas where aesthetics and space limitations are a concern.

How does the choice of transmission line affect the efficiency of a power system?

The choice of transmission line can greatly impact the efficiency of a power system. Factors such as the material, size, and configuration of the transmission line can affect the amount of power loss during transmission. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider these factors to minimize power loss and maintain the overall efficiency of the power system.

What are some key differences between AC and DC transmission lines?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) transmission lines is the type of current used to transmit power. AC lines are more commonly used for long-distance transmission and are able to transmit higher voltages. DC lines, on the other hand, are more efficient at transmitting power over longer distances and are often used for underwater or underground transmission.

How do environmental factors impact the choice of transmission line for a power system?

Environmental factors such as terrain, weather conditions, and potential hazards can greatly impact the choice of transmission line for a power system. For example, areas with high winds or frequent storms may require more durable and weather-resistant transmission lines. Similarly, areas prone to earthquakes or other natural disasters may require specific types of transmission lines to ensure the reliability and safety of the power system.