1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission Line, Max Real Power Transfer

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 230kV, 160km long transmission line has the following parameters expressed on a 230kV, 100MVA base.

R = 0.0151
    X = 0.1476
    Y = 0.288

The sending end voltage of the line is held constant at 1.0 pu. The load at the receiving end has a lagging power factor of 0.8.

Show that the Thevenin equivalent yields,

[tex]V_{Th} = 1.022 \angle -0.13^{\circ}[/tex]

[tex]Z_{Th} = 0.0158 + j0.15077[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I'm confused regarding the maximum real power transfer limit.

Is this supposed to be calculated assuming,

[tex]Z_{load} = Z_{Th}^{*}[/tex]

or are we supposed to use the PF of the load stated in the question somehow?

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

While it may seem to be hinting at conjugate matching, as far as power transmission goes that sounds unrealistic to me. Who would be happy to have a load voltage just half of what the power station was supplying? With half of the station's power output going to heat in the powerline? It's overdoing the de-icing just a tad.

Maybe they are asking what power you could get to that load if you used powerfactor correction?

When in doubt, ask your professor for clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted