Power transmission lines in America

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
I was just curious if anyone would know how I could go about getting maps of powerlines in various locations? Is it even possible to do so?

The reason I'm wondering is to find places to go riding. I know some powerlines are open to offroad vehicles, whereas others are not, or are on private property. I was hoping to find a map of some of the lines in my neighborhood so I could know what is and is not legal, plus get an idea how much riding there is to be done.

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can buy maps from the USGS. I couldn't find anything free.

Hopefully this information is controlled a little; with terrorism in mind.
 
I think this is what you want: http://www.enermap.com/electric_map.html
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Hopefully this information is controlled a little; with terrorism in mind.

I would hope so to but :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 
Ivan Seeking said:
You can buy maps from the USGS. I couldn't find anything free.

Hopefully this information is controlled a little; with terrorism in mind.

well they are kinda BIG and up in the air so eazy to spot

in Miami FP&L has ARC [program] maps of all kinds of stuff like powerlines , water, belltel, gas ect, plus esmts and R/W but access is restricted