Power Transmission through Transmission Lines

• Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In the numericals based on transmission line, the wording is like this-" A transmission line feeds power to a load at 132kV, 0.8 pf lagging and so on." In practice, are pf and
current really constant? Doesn't it depend on the load? I mean, every minute someone is switching something on and something off. If the current waveform for a minute is plotted, how will it look? Will the pf be constant? By pf , I mean transmission line pf.

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
In the numericals based on transmission line, the wording is like this-" A transmission line feeds power to a load at 132kV, 0.8 pf lagging and so on." In practice, are pf and
current really constant? Doesn't it depend on the load? I mean, every minute someone is switching something on and something off. If the current waveform for a minute is plotted, how will it look? Will the pf be constant? By pf , I mean transmission line pf.
Yes, of course the loads change all the time. That doesn't mean that you can't quote an average value or a specific value as an example.

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, of course the loads change all the time. That doesn't mean that you can't quote an average value or a specific value as an example.
So, if the current waveform for a minute is plotted, it has to be of variable amplitude(provided the load is changning). But for the numericals, some specific value is taken for convenience, right?

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
It is a simplification. AC analysis with P+jQ does assume an average over an integral number of pure cycles. But we also use it when the average is time variant. We simply ignore the distortions in the sinusoidal. Nevertheless, the approximations are highly accurate and often verified.

Most students never realize the apparent contradiction between "static" AC analysis and time varying averages. Good for you.

Likes cnh1995
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I mean, every minute someone is switching something on and something off.
And when a car goes along the road, it will keep changing its velocity and power output.That doesn't stop us from doing calculations about a specific set of conditions. Things can rapidly get very complicated in real life so we have to start with a simple case.

Likes cnh1995