Powerless Transceiver: Bluetooth/802.11/27 MHz Range LAN Options

• Thread starter drag
  • Start date
In summary: Multiple modulation modes transponders could be done with existing technologies. However, the protocols would need to support it. Right now, the relevant transmitters and receivers are integrated into today's computers.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

I was wondering if anybody heard of a bluetooth/802.11/
27 MHz range LAN transceiver (or maybe something like a
radio transducer) that can operate by using power from
received transmissions - thus requiring no coupled power source ?

Also, which of these protocols could allow it technicly in the first
place - that is, involves continuous control signals by the "main"
control unit or something, thus providing the necessary power
for the modulated or separate return signal transmission ?

Finally, if such transceiver circuits exist/are possible - would/do
they require non-standard improved receiving capability of the units
with which they communicate due to low transmission power ?

Thanks. :smile:

Live long and prosper.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That would require some serious power output from the transmitter, very low power consumption on the receiver, close distances, and focused antennas (to keep the power from spreading). And then to transmit data back? From a consumer standard?

If you're on a network, you're likely using some device that has its own power source. Tapping off that would be easy, especially with USB.

Cliff

drag,

Edit: I inadvertently ignored your bluetooth, 24MHz spec when I posted the following, which describes the IR (f>>24Mhz) technology for battery-free reception/transmission already in widespread use.

If I understand what you're asking, the answer is yes, and they're being used all over the place.

Those toll tags that let you drive through toll booths without stopping are infrared transmitter/receivers. A transmitter in the toll booth radiates an ir wave with sufficient power to provide the toll tag just enough energy for it to radiate an ir signal that identifies it to the toll booth as you drive by.

They've been used in agriculture for even longer to identify livestock as they move around and even keep track of how long each one spends at the feed trough etc.

I think Walmart has a pilot program going to identify and track their stock as it comes into the store and moves from the stock room to the retail shelves, to the cash registers, and out the door. The holygrail of this technology is tags so small and cheap they could be imbedded in every product, making the whole checkout process obsolete! They've got the "small" part nailed, but the tags still cost around 10c (I think). That has to come down closer to a penny for it to be economically viable. It'll happen!

Last edited:
Greetings !

O.K. I now about part of that stuff. To clarify
a bit, I'm reffering more to various computer related
wireless appliances like keyboards, mice, joysticks
and stuff like that. I heard about the Microsoft wireless
keyboards and mice and bluetooth mice as well as similar
Logitech technology. They all use batteries, but the data
transfer rates are very low and they are all used in close
proximity to the computer system with short range wireless
protocols.

So, I was interested to find out weather there are
technologies out there that can do the same things
without a power source at all. I suppose it depends a lot
on the way the protocols work too.

Live long and prosper.

jdavel,

I believe what you're talking about actually RF devices. The tags are commonly called RFIDs. Futhermore, toll devices do not use infrared either; they also use radio.

- Warren

chroot,

Doh!

You're right. I was even thinking "RFID" in one part of my brain, but the part that wrote my post translated that into "something...something...intrared device". Maybe I need to get an EEG or something.

Come to think of it, I need to get a life; it's 4:00 in the morning!

jdl

O.K. , if we're into that, how about renaming it to - "multiple
modulation modes" transponders. And again, would the
relevant protocols support their operation ? And would
the current relevant transmitters and receivers (integrated
into today's computers, for example) be able to pick
them up at the same short ranges ?

Live long and prosper.

Related to Powerless Transceiver: Bluetooth/802.11/27 MHz Range LAN Options

1. What is a powerless transceiver?

A powerless transceiver is a type of transceiver that does not require an external power source to function. It is typically powered by the signal it receives from the connected device.

2. How does a powerless transceiver work?

A powerless transceiver works by utilizing the energy from the incoming signal to power its own operations. It converts the received signal into electrical energy to power its circuits and transmit the data.

3. What are the advantages of using a powerless transceiver?

One of the main advantages of a powerless transceiver is its low power consumption. Since it does not require an external power source, it can significantly reduce energy consumption and save costs. It also eliminates the need for batteries or power cords, making it more convenient and portable.

4. What are the applications of a powerless transceiver?

Powerless transceivers are commonly used in wireless sensor networks, such as in smart homes and industrial automation. They are also used in radio frequency identification (RFID) systems and other wireless communication devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using a powerless transceiver?

One limitation of a powerless transceiver is its limited transmission range. Since it relies on the power of the incoming signal, it may have a shorter range compared to traditional transceivers that are powered by external sources. Additionally, it may be more susceptible to interference from other wireless devices.