1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Powers of a Matrix and Eigenvalues proof

1. May 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if A is an nxn matrix with eigenvector v, then v is an eigenvector for Ak where kε(all positive integers)

2. Relevant equations

Av=λv

3. The attempt at a solution

Av=λv
    A(Av)=A(λv)
    Akv=λ(Av)

i know i may not be doing it right but this is what i can think of so far

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if I rewrote that as
    A(Av) = λ(Av)

4. May 16, 2013 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

If you want to show that v is an eigenvector of a power of A (given that v is an eigenvector of A itself), you need to know what happens when you multiply v by some power of A. Consider the second power to begin with - the pattern you see continues for higher powers. So,

if Av = λv, what do you get when you examine

A(Av) = A(λv)

* and simplify the left side?
    * and simplify the right side (remember that A(λv) = λ(Av)) when you simplify the right?

If you correctly simplify these two pieces you should be able to show that v IS an eigenvector of A-squared, AND you will know the associated eigenvalue. The latter is important, because it will give you a major hint about the link between A^k, v, and the corresponding eigenvalue. Once you see that link, you will know how to answer your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted