1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pproving (g ° f)* = f* ° g* - is this correct?

1. Jun 29, 2013 #1
    pproving (g ° f)* = f* ° g* -- is this correct?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

assume g: F→G is a linear map

prove that (g ° f)* = f* ° g*

My solution

(g ° f)* = g* ° f* by the properties of associativity in linear maps.

if we assume that g* ° f* = f* ° g* then g and f are inverse functions of each other.

by the properties of linear maps the only way that g* ° f* = f* ° g* is if they are inverse functions.

therefore (g ° f)* = f* ° g*

is there anything wildly wrong with my reasoning?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Certainly looks wildly wrong to me. Is '*' supposed to be a transpose or adjoint or what?

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    i honestly don't know if you don't, i am writing the problem exactly as it appeared on the assignment.

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't have the rest of your course to look at. If they asked you to prove this then they certainly should have told you what '*' means. Look back. You'll need to use the definition.

6. Jun 29, 2013 #5
    I got two definitions: one is "any value" as it appears in some summation problems, the other is a map from G the dual space. Which one should be there I would have no way of figuring out since I am not the math PhD. My prof seems to think we are telepathic.

7. Jun 29, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't either. It is a sloppy statement, I'll give you that. They said g:F->G but they didn't say anything about f. My mind reading says it's about dual spaces. It's basically the same as showing ##(AB)^T=B^TA^T## where T means transpose.

8. Jun 29, 2013 #7
    Well that helps, at least it tells me that I am approaching this the wrong way. I really wish there was a better method of teaching this stuff; we're using the Freidberg text but I don't find it all that helpful because (of course) my prof decides he wants to use a different notation. I tried using Linear Algebra Done Right but the people who wrote it have never heard of an index. I'm on a third text now hoping it will help.

9. Jun 29, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try thinking of it in terms of matrix representation. If the matrix representation of g is G and the matrix representation of f is F, then matrix representation of (g ° f) is GF. Now try to figure out what '*' does to matrices. It's really a form of 'transpose'.

10. Jun 30, 2013 #9
    Dick --
    OK, I went to the prof. He says "the *" is defined in the problem which was about as helpful as a bullet to the brain, which is what I am contemplating right about now.

Here's the whole assignment problem:

Let f: E --> F be a linear map. Let f* : HomK(F,K) --> HomK(E,K) denote the function such that f*(u) = u composed of f (I'm too tired right now to mess with itex).

first he wants us to prove f* is a linear map. then the question I gave you.

Frankly the way this is set up might as well be written in Madarin as far as I am concerned.

11. Jun 30, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It makes a lot more sense when you state the whole problem. I would do that in the future. Your first job is to figure out what all the maps are. Then it won't seem like Mandarin. ##Hom_K(F,K)## is the dual space of ##F##. Do you know what that is? Can you describe it in simple words?

12. Jun 30, 2013 #11
    i know that a homomorphism is by definition a linear map, or at least that is the definition I found online. (neither of the three books I used -- Freidberg, Linear Algebra Done Right -- deigns to define it, though Schaum's seems to and says it is the space of all linear transformations). But no, the concept of a dual space is completely foreign to me right now.

13. Jun 30, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, time to start learning that foreign concept. You just said what it is. F* (the dual space to F) is the set of all linear maps from F to K. In fancier language, ##F^*=Hom_K(F,K)##. That is a vector space, right? Do you see why? Now to first part of the exercise is to show f* defines a linear map from G* to F*. Try it.

14. Jun 30, 2013 #13
    ye, thanks a lot, rethinking it helped quite a bit.

15. Jun 30, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the whole thing isn't that bad once you figure out what the parts are, right?

16. Jun 30, 2013 #15
    yeah, I think I was just venting a bit too. I can't be the only one who feel the frustration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted