Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pre-Calculas Vs. Calculas

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    I've studied Pre-Calculas with derivitaves and all but not Calculas. Is it that much different from Precal or is it about the same as Precal?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "Pre-Calculus with derivatives". That sounds like at least the first part of Calclulus! You do need to be very, very good at algebra in order to do calculus so "pre-calculus" typically involves a lot of algebra. How much like or unlike calculus it is depends a lot on the particular course. Some of the concepts in calculus, particularly those involving limits, are very subtle and very different from "before calculus" courses.

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    Just what does a typical Calculas course consist of?

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

ranger

Gold Member

• Limits and Rates of Change
      Derivatives
      Applications of Derivatives
      Antiderivatives,Integrals, Definite Integrals, indefinite integrals
      Applications of Integration

Thats a typical of topics for calculus 1.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  6. Oct 12, 2005 #5
    In my precalculus class a while back I studied derivatives at the very end of the course. However, most of single-var. differential calculus was actually taught in calc. 1. Is this similar to what you're thinking of?

Alex

7. Oct 12, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where I teach we have a sequence entitled "Calculus with Precalculus I-II". I don't know how common it is, but basically it has all the material from Precalculus and Calculus I folded in together. The idea is that you learn a that bit of Precalc that you need for a particular Calc unit, right before you need it.

Maybe that's what the OP is getting at.

8. Oct 12, 2005 #7
    I got Precal but is Calculas much harder?

9. Oct 12, 2005 #8

mezarashi

Homework Helper

You won't know until you try it :P
    But I think most people would agree that of all the "post-precal" mathematics, calculus would be the easiest, even in vector form.

10. Oct 12, 2005 #9
    I know a lot of kids who took precalc , which isn't really all that worthwhile IMAO ,... i didn't do it, I just went to calc .... and the kids struggled a little, but it was only because the stuff was new to them .. like precalculus didn't really give them skills to be used in calculus.. then again they also didn't cover the state standards and stuff, so maybe i was better off ....

11. Oct 13, 2005 #10
    I need a website that explains Calculus.

12. Oct 14, 2005 #11
  13. Oct 16, 2005 #12
    Upon the schedual of the pre-cal classes, most teacher would introduce the definition of derivative by using limit. Moreover, I assume that they will not go in to power rule and anything beyond.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?