Pre-calculus or calculus before physics?

In summary, it is recommended to finish pre-calculus and calculus before starting basic physics, as having a calculus base will provide a deeper understanding of physics. However, if you are doing this as a personal hobby, you can learn them simultaneously. It may be more rewarding to first complete calculus if your goal is to learn quantum physics equations.
Vola
Gold Member
I,m self-studying math and physics as my hobby.
Should I finish pre-calculus and calculus before I start basic physics or I can learn them simultaneously?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can learn them simultaneously. But you will have a deeper understanding of physics if you have a calculus base. So if you are doing this as a personal hobby, i think it will be more rewarding for you if you do the calculus first.

Thank you dacruick

dacruick said:
you can learn them simultaneously. But you will have a deeper understanding of physics if you have a calculus base. So if you are doing this as a personal hobby, i think it will be more rewarding for you if you do the calculus first.

This is exactly my feeling after 2 weeks of this stuff. I wish it would have said this or maybe asked someone before i signed up.

Personally, I'm just finishing My first year of physics and am free studying calculus so that I can learn quantam physics equations (I'm free studying that oto, the class is basic, I'm in 10th grade)

1. What is the difference between pre-calculus and calculus?

Pre-calculus is a course that covers foundational topics in algebra and trigonometry, while calculus is a more advanced math course that builds upon these concepts and introduces new topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Do I need to take pre-calculus or calculus before studying physics?

It is highly recommended to have a strong understanding of pre-calculus and/or calculus before studying physics, as many concepts in physics involve mathematical calculations and equations that require knowledge of these subjects.

3. How does pre-calculus or calculus apply to physics?

Pre-calculus and calculus are used in physics to solve problems involving motion, forces, and energy. These mathematical concepts provide the tools for analyzing and understanding the physical world.

4. Can I skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus for physics?

This depends on your level of math proficiency and the requirements of your specific physics course. It is generally recommended to have a strong foundation in pre-calculus before moving on to calculus, but if you feel confident in your math skills, you may be able to skip pre-calculus.

5. Is it necessary to take pre-calculus or calculus if I am not majoring in a STEM field?

While it may not be necessary for non-STEM majors to have a deep understanding of pre-calculus or calculus, these courses can still be beneficial for developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, some universities may have math requirements for all students, regardless of major.