Predicting Position for velocity time graph

In summary: Hi querty:Since you have no numbers for the Y-axis, I suggest you just eyeball it. Imagine a vertical line at the time T when the areas are the same. Estimate the area of grandma minus me, that is the area between the curve and the line. Between the beginning of the graph and the point P when the two graphs cross is area A. Between P and T the area between the graphs is area B. The total area between the beginning and T under grandma will equal the total area under me. How will A and B relate to each other?Regards,Buzz
qwertyqwert321

Homework Statement

6nUNpNB.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no clue as to how to go about this question. Am i supposed to find the area under the curve? but how do i do that without y-axis numbers. am i supposed to look at the slopes?

Physics news on Phys.org
qwertyqwert321 said:
Am i supposed to find the area under the curve? but how do i do that without y-axis numbers. am i supposed to look at the slopes?
You only need to estimate the areas close enough to decide among the possible answers.

Hi querty:

I first note that the values given along the X-axis omits 6. I assume that is is a typo, and that the last two ticks are for 6 and 7 rather than 7 and 8. I also note that none of the 5 given answers matches my estimate of the correct time.

The question is: at what point in time is the distance from the starting point the same for the two graphs. Your idea about area is good. Hint: You are not being asked to find the distance corresponding to the desired time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi querty:

I first note that the values given along the X-axis omits 6. I assume that is is a typo, and that the last two ticks are for 6 and 7 rather than 7 and 8. I also note that none of the 5 given answers matches my estimate of the correct time.

The question is: at what point in time is the distance from the starting point the same for the two graphs. Your idea about area is good. Hint: You are not being asked to find the distance corresponding to the desired time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
Okay so I would calculate :
area of me = 0.5 b * h
area of grandma = 0.5 bh + lw ( split the curve into triangle and rectangle )

would i then : area of me - area of grandma ?

Hi querty:

Since you have no numbers for the Y-axis, I suggest you just eyeball it. Imagine a vertical line at the time T when the areas are the same. Estimate the area of grandma minus me, that is the area between the curve and the line. Between the beginning of the graph and the point P when the two graphs cross is area A. Between P and T the area between the graphs is area B. The total area between the beginning and T under grandma will equal the total area under me. How will A and B relate to each other?

Regards,
Buzz

1. How can we use a velocity time graph to predict position?

A velocity time graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and time, and can be used to determine the object's displacement or change in position. This can be done by finding the area under the curve on the graph, which represents the object's displacement.

2. What information do we need to predict position using a velocity time graph?

In order to predict position using a velocity time graph, we need to know the object's initial position, initial velocity, and the shape of the velocity time graph. This information will allow us to determine the object's displacement at any given time.

3. Can we use a velocity time graph to predict position for objects with changing velocities?

Yes, a velocity time graph can still be used to predict position for objects with changing velocities. The area under the curve can still be calculated to determine the object's displacement, even if the velocity is not constant.

4. How accurate are predictions of position from a velocity time graph?

The accuracy of predictions from a velocity time graph depends on the accuracy of the data used to create the graph. If the velocity measurements are precise and the graph is properly drawn, the predicted position should be fairly accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using a velocity time graph to predict position?

One limitation of using a velocity time graph to predict position is that it assumes the object is moving in a straight line with a constant velocity. This may not always be the case, especially for objects with changing velocities or those moving in a curved path.