Predicting Post-Impact Motion of 2D Object

• Thread starter hoang anh tuan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses how to predict the post-impact motion of a 2D object, specifically a square, after hitting a flat surface. Factors such as motion of inertia, angle of impact, pre-impact speed, and angular velocity are mentioned as potential inputs, but it is questioned whether all of these are necessary for accurate prediction. The possibility of using an analytical formula is also mentioned, but it is noted that this may not accurately reflect the messy truth of the situation. The concept of rolling vs bouncing is discussed and it is stated that a square cannot truly roll on a flat surface. Suggestions are made to utilize existing physics engines for more accurate predictions.
hoang anh tuan
I have a question:
How to predict the post-impact motion of an 2D object, for example, a square, whether it will roll or bounce up, after hitting a flat surface. Given that we know the motion of inertia,angle of impact, pre-impact horizontal and vertical speed, angular velocity,? Thanks, the angle of impact a is shown below.
ppp.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a cylindrical rod made of glass, say 4 mm cm in diameter and 15 cm long, and let it drop from one meter height onto a massive steel slab.

Then do the same, but with a rod made of rubber.

Do you really need all the things that you mentioned to predict the outcome? What is important then?

What i mean is an analytical way of predicting the outcome based on numerical numbers in a form of formula, for example, comparing the ratio of the potential energy with the dissipated energy and having some kind of a bound so when the ratio crosses the bound it's either going to bounce or just roll. That is the question i was having. Thanks

So you would have a bogus analytic formula rather than messy truth?

I am using this in a program, so it has to quantify in order for me to do anything. I need a general bogus truth :)

If you need something bogus, feel free to invent it.

Regarding the more particular question of rolling vs bouncing, rolling by definition means that any contact points of a rolling body must be at zero velocity with whatever they are in contact with. Obviously, when a square's second vertex (per the original picture) collides with the surface, its velocity won't be zero, so the motion will be anything but rolling.

I have tried dropping it and sometimes it does not really bounce up but rather just drop down so the angle plays an important role. May be rolling is not the correct term to describe it.

hoang anh tuan said:
I am using this in a program, so it has to quantify in order for me to do anything. I need a general bogus truth :)
There are many physics engines available on the net. You can use them in your program, or look at the documentation, or directly at the source code of those which are open source.

Related to Predicting Post-Impact Motion of 2D Object

1. What is meant by "post-impact motion"?

Post-impact motion refers to the movement of an object after it has been impacted by an external force, such as a collision or an explosion.

2. How is the motion of a 2D object predicted?

The motion of a 2D object can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of momentum, and collision dynamics. These equations take into account factors such as the initial velocity, mass, and direction of the object, as well as the forces acting upon it.

3. What are some applications of predicting post-impact motion of 2D objects?

Predicting post-impact motion of 2D objects has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to design safer structures and vehicles, model natural phenomena like asteroid impacts, and create realistic simulations in video games and movies.

4. What are some challenges in accurately predicting post-impact motion?

Some challenges in predicting post-impact motion include accounting for complex interactions between multiple objects, accounting for air resistance and other external factors, and accurately measuring initial conditions and forces. Additionally, predicting the exact motion of an object can be difficult due to the chaotic nature of some systems.

5. How can the accuracy of post-impact motion predictions be improved?

The accuracy of post-impact motion predictions can be improved by using advanced mathematical models, collecting precise data on initial conditions and forces, and using computer simulations to account for complex interactions. Additionally, conducting experiments and comparing the results to predictions can help refine and improve the accuracy of the models being used.