Predicting Rainfall in a Village: Understanding the Necessary Information

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of rain falling in a village and how much information is needed to accurately predict rain for a given day. The meteorologist is able to predict rain with an average success rate of 75%, which translates to about 0.19 bits of information. However, this information is only meaningful for this specific prediction and cannot be used for any other purposes.
svm
In some village rain falls with probability of 0.5 (statistically), e.g. tomorrow it may or may not fall, the chances are equal.

A local meteorologist gathers information, allowing him only to predict rain falling in the village with average success rate of 75% (about 3 of 4 predictions are correct).

What amount of information allows him to predict rain falling for a given day?
(The information is meaningful only for this particular prediction, no other uses are possible)

Physics news on Phys.org
You only need 1 bit to learn it perfectly (-lg 0.5), so you're talking about fractions of a bit. I get about 0.42 bits.

CRGreathouse said:
You only need 1 bit to learn it perfectly (-lg 0.5), so you're talking about fractions of a bit. I get about 0.42 bits.

Hm... That's interesting. My answer was only about 0.19 bit:
1 - (- 0.75 * lg 0.75 - 0.25 * lg 0.25) bit

Am I wrong?

svm said:
Hm... That's interesting. My answer was only about 0.19 bit:
1 - (- 0.75 * lg 0.75 - 0.25 * lg 0.25) bit

Am I wrong?

You're right, I wasn't answering your question. I was saying how much information there was in the 75% prediction total. (Sorry!)

Related to Predicting Rainfall in a Village: Understanding the Necessary Information

What is a simple information problem?

A simple information problem is a problem or question that can be answered by gathering and analyzing a small amount of data or information. It typically involves straightforward research and does not require complex methods or techniques.

How do you identify a simple information problem?

You can identify a simple information problem by breaking down a larger problem into smaller, more specific questions. These questions should have clear and specific answers that can be obtained through research or analysis.

What are some common examples of simple information problems?

Some common examples of simple information problems include finding the average temperature in a particular city, researching the popularity of a specific product, or comparing the prices of similar items at different stores.

What are the steps to solving a simple information problem?

The steps to solving a simple information problem include clearly defining the problem, identifying the necessary data or information, gathering and organizing the data, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions or making decisions based on the results.

What are some useful tools for solving simple information problems?

Some useful tools for solving simple information problems include search engines, databases, spreadsheets, and statistical software. These tools can help with gathering and organizing data, as well as analyzing and visualizing the results.