Predicting the pKa of a molecule

• Thread starter mycotheology
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the question is about estimating the pKa of a compound with a methyl group attached to the carboxyl group's alpha carbon and a carbonyl group not conjugated with the aromatic rings. The first part of the conversation discusses the effect of these groups on the compound's acidity. For the second question, the discussion revolves around comparing the compound's acidic group with other known compounds and considering the effect of a large, greasy biphenyl group attached. The expert's estimate for the pKa of 2-phenylpropanoic acid is 4.2, while for flurbiprofen, it is around 4.0 due to the delocalization of electrons by the second benzene ring.
mycotheology
Heres the question:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5071/sar2.png
I have no idea how to answer either of these questions. I know that the methyl group attached to the carboxyl groups alpha carbon will decrease the acidity due to electron donating properties. It doesn't look like the carbonyl group is conjugated with the aromatic rings so I don't think they will increase the acidity too much. Thats all I can say about it though, I have no idea how to estimate the pKa.

I'm also confused about question b. I suppose one advantage is that the salt is not acidic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Start by comparing the acidic group with other known compounds. Acetic acid, pKa = 4.75; propionic acid, pKa = 4.87; 2-phenylpropionic acid, pKa = ?

For b, you are partly correct but there is something else you need to consider. Simple carboxylic acids are fairly polar but this structure has a fairly large, greasy biphenyl group attached.

My guess for 2-phenylpropanoic acid is pKa = 4.2 since the phenyl group is close enough to significantly delocalise the acids electrons. If I'm not mistaken, the F group should increase electron density of the benzene ring because halogens are stronger resonance electron donors than inductive electron acceptors therefore is should raise the pKa a bit. However the second benzene ring in flurbiprofen will delocalise electrons even further so I'm guessing flurbiprofen has a pKa of around 4.0.

1. How is the pKa of a molecule predicted?

The pKa of a molecule can be predicted using various computational methods such as quantum mechanics calculations, molecular dynamics simulations, and empirical models. These methods take into account the structure and chemical properties of the molecule to determine its pKa.

2. What factors influence the pKa of a molecule?

The pKa of a molecule is influenced by several factors, including the chemical environment, the presence of functional groups, and the electronic distribution within the molecule. These factors can affect the stability of the molecule and its ability to donate or accept protons, thus impacting its pKa.

3. Can the pKa of a molecule be experimentally measured?

Yes, the pKa of a molecule can be experimentally measured using methods such as acid-base titrations or spectroscopic techniques. However, these methods can be time-consuming and expensive, making computational prediction a more efficient approach.

4. How accurate are pKa predictions?

The accuracy of pKa predictions can vary depending on the method used and the complexity of the molecule being studied. Generally, computational methods have a higher accuracy for simple molecules, while more complex molecules may have larger prediction errors. However, advancements in computational techniques have greatly improved the accuracy of pKa predictions in recent years.

5. Why is predicting the pKa of a molecule important?

Predicting the pKa of a molecule is important for understanding its chemical properties and behavior in various environments. It can also aid in the design of new molecules for specific purposes, such as drug development, by predicting their reactivity and solubility. Additionally, pKa predictions can help in the interpretation of experimental results and the optimization of reaction conditions.