Can we accurately predict the speed of light using the index of refraction?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation or table to compare a lab's measured speed of light to. The index of refraction at 1 atm and 0°C is mentioned, but the speaker was hoping for a more specific way to check their values. They end up with a value close to the index and are grateful for the suggestion to play around with different factors for future experiments.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

I was wondering if anyone knew of an equation or table that I could compare my labs measured speed of light to? I'm aware that the index of refraction is 1.000293 at 1 atm and 0°c but was hoping to find a way to check our values specifically. We ended up with 1.0002343 so I know we were close.

thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can play around with effects of wavelength, temperature and pressure (as well as humidity and carbon dioxide content) here.

Perfect, thank you! That put us a bit closer to the index (I figured this was the case) and gives me a way to make quick comparison's for future experiments. Really appreciate it.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How was the speed of light first predicted?

The speed of light was first predicted by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676. He observed that the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth varied depending on the distance between the two planets, leading him to calculate the speed of light to be about 220,000 kilometers per second.

3. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is measured using a variety of techniques, including using lasers and mirrors to measure the time it takes for a beam of light to travel a known distance. Another method involves using the properties of electromagnetic waves to measure the speed of light.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, it is not possible for an object to exceed the speed of light.

5. Why is predicting the speed of light important?

Predicting the speed of light is important because it is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a crucial role in many scientific theories and calculations. It is also essential for understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.