Preimage of arbitrary subgroup.

• Thread starter xiavatar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup is a subset of the domain of a function that maps to all the elements in the subgroup. To calculate it, you need to determine the elements in the domain that produce elements in the subgroup when applied to the function. This concept is important in abstract algebra and group theory as it helps understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. It can also be used in practical applications such as cryptography and data compression to identify patterns and structures within a group and its subgroups. The preimage of an arbitrary subgroup can also be empty if the subgroup is not a valid subset of the function's codomain.
xiavatar
Suppose θ: A → B is a homomorphism. And assume S ≤ B. Is it necesarily true that if S is a subgroup, that is not completely contained in the range, its preimage forms a subgroup?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used subgroup criterion test, and it should be a subgroup. But i just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything trivial.

xiavatar said:
I used subgroup criterion test, and it should be a subgroup. But i just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything trivial.

You didn't. It's a subgroup indeed!

Yes, it is necessarily true that the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup under a homomorphism forms a subgroup. This is because a homomorphism preserves the group structure, meaning that the preimage will also have the same properties as the original subgroup. Additionally, since the preimage is a subset of the domain, it will also contain the identity element and be closed under the group operation, satisfying the requirements for a subgroup.

What is the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup?

The preimage of an arbitrary subgroup is a subset of the domain of a function that maps to all the elements in the subgroup. In other words, it is the set of all elements in the domain that, when applied to the function, will produce an element in the subgroup.

How is the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup calculated?

To calculate the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup, you need to determine all the elements in the domain that, when applied to the function, will produce an element in the subgroup. This can be done by finding the inverse of the function and then applying the elements of the subgroup to the inverse function.

What is the significance of the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup?

The preimage of an arbitrary subgroup is important in abstract algebra and group theory as it helps to understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. It also allows for the identification of elements in the domain that map to specific elements in the subgroup.

Can the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup to be empty. This means that there are no elements in the domain that, when applied to the function, will produce an element in the subgroup. This can happen if the subgroup is not a valid subset of the codomain of the function.

How is the preimage of an arbitrary subgroup used in practical applications?

The concept of preimage of an arbitrary subgroup is used in various fields such as cryptography, data compression, and coding theory. It helps in finding efficient ways to encode and decode information by identifying patterns and structures within a group and its subgroups.