Preparing for Signals and Systems

In summary: It is used by engineers and scientists for a variety of tasks, including signal and system analysis. Signals and Systems is a difficult course. It is not difficult in the same way as Linear Algebra or Calculus. The material is dense and requires a lot of practice. If you are not confident in your math skills then I would recommend that you delay taking the course until you are more confident.
mathwhiz
Signals and Systems Vs Circuits I

I really just would like to know which course, in your opinion, was more difficult circuits I or signals? I've already taken circuits and signals is up next. Also, what should I be reviewing in order to prepare myself, during the break, for Signals and Systems. From what I've read thus far it really introduces Fourier series is there anything else? I just like to get a jump-start on classes while on break.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I apologize in advanced because I know this isn't the right section, but I posted these same questions in the general coursework forum and received no answers.

I've already taken circuits and signals is up next. What should I be reviewing in order to prepare myself, during the break, for Signals and Systems. From what I've read thus far it really introduces Fourier series is there anything else? I just like to get a jump-start on classes while on break.

What I did many moons ago was purchase textbooks before leaving for break (winter & summer), then reading through them over the break.

Course difficulty can depend so much on the professor that I won't venture a guess. The topics tend to have equivalent inherent difficulty, though.

Signals and systems may look like an applied math class at first glance, but it really does teach you how to think about systems in a useful way. You need to make sure you know your basic circuits, complex number manipulation, calculus (including things like integration by parts, improper integrals, and convergence of power series), and basic constant coefficient linear ODEs. All of that material is likely in your calc book (is in Thomas' calculus anyway). The basic ideas of linearity and orthogonality that you learned in linear algebra are also important, but those are straightforward enough to refresh your memory as needed during the course.

A nice looking signals and systems book can be found free, written by a very well known expert:
http://www.ece.sunysb.edu/~ctchen/
It might be worth your while to go through a chapter or two to help you identify where you may need a little extra work to be prepared.

As a warning, some professors (not too many, I hope) use signals and systems as an opportunity to get students used to more precise/abstract math (I don't think it is the best approach). The most popular textbooks are NOT like this. An example free book along these lines can be found at
http://leevaraiya.org/

Signals and systems was one of the most useful classes I ever took; I think it is fun, too. I still use that stuff all the time at work. Enjoy!

Jason

Likes 1 person
When we took Systems and Signals (they were 2 different classes, 1 being discrete time, one being continious time)
We covered stuff such as Linear Time Invariant (LTI) systems.
Leplace transforms, Z transforms, convolultion,
System responses to Dirac inpulses.
Frequency response.
Ummmm I'm sure there was more but I'm drawing a blank.

Hope that helps a bit :D

Start learning the mathematics that underlies much of what you will learn in your signals and systems class. If you don't know the math that class will look like a bunch of disjoint concepts that you have to memorize. If you do know the math those disjoint concepts will all fall into place.

The math you need to know falls into two basic domains, analysis (real and complex analysis), and linear algebra.

Likes 1 person
mathwhiz said:
I apologize in advanced because I know this isn't the right section, but I posted these same questions in the general coursework forum and received no answers.

I've already taken circuits and signals is up next. What should I be reviewing in order to prepare myself, during the break, for Signals and Systems. From what I've read thus far it really introduces Fourier series is there anything else? I just like to get a jump-start on classes while on break.

Please do not multiple post here at the PF. If you wanted your original thread moved, click the Report button on your post and ask the Mentors to move the thread. I have merged your two threads.

Okay cool, I know I will be good at anything dealing with linear algebra since I just completed a proof based linear algebra class vs the MATLAB based one I should have taken. Either way it looks like I'm pretty solid math wise, i'll probably just focus on mastering the laplace transform, and make sure I have circuits mastered as well. I will definitely take a look at those links also. Thanks for all of the replies.

You probably know much more linear algebra than you need then.

If you do not already know MATLAB then you should learn is asap. It is a standard tool to use during such a class and for the remainder of your career. If the standard prereq linear algebra course used MATLAB then your signals class may assume you know it and just expect you to use it. You can download Octave for free, which mostly has the same syntax as matlab.

jason

I actually do have Matlab (student version), and Maple on my computer but like you said I really need to dig into it and learn it. Outside of basic matrix manipulations, declaring variables, plotting, and a few things dealing with differential equations I know nothing about it. With Maple its just a program I have on my computer I do not even know the basics. I do know they are very powerful tools and will be used extensively, specifically MATLAB.

I would say circuits is much easier than signals atleast I find it that way but if you are going for signals and system you should do the application of all the transformations ( Laplace ,z,Fourier ) I mean you should be comfortable with applying all the mathematical ideas . I personally felt it harder coz I have problems in understanding the basic concept of waves and for me every basic things need to be damn clear as I have ADHD
But again best of luck the things that are harder for me can be easier for you

1. What are the key concepts in Signals and Systems?

The key concepts in Signals and Systems include time and frequency domain representation, convolution, Fourier series and transform, Laplace transform, and system analysis and stability.

2. How can I prepare for Signals and Systems exams?

To prepare for Signals and Systems exams, it is important to review lecture notes, practice problems, and past exams. It is also helpful to work through sample problems and create study guides for key concepts.

3. What are some useful resources for studying Signals and Systems?

Some useful resources for studying Signals and Systems include textbooks, online tutorials and lectures, practice problems with solutions, and study groups or tutoring sessions.

4. Is it important to have a strong background in mathematics for Signals and Systems?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is essential for understanding and solving problems in Signals and Systems. Knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra is particularly important.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Signals and Systems concepts?

To improve understanding of Signals and Systems concepts, it is helpful to work through practice problems, attend lectures and discussions, and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also beneficial to apply the concepts to real-world examples and explore additional resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.