1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prerequisites and Resources to learn Matrices

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    Could anyone let me know of a good resource that I could use to learn matrix mathematics? I'm not sure if that is the proper term for that segment of mathematics, but hopefully you get the gist of it. It can be a book or a website, does not matter to me. Also, any suggestions as to what I should study before delving into matrices? They seem to be quite different from things like polynomials at first glance.

Much Appreciated,
    Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look for linear algebra resources - I never really got matrixes myself until I had to learn matlab ...

These days I'd suggest going online for the basics.
    What level are you at?

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    As far as matrix math goes I've done dot multiplication and other things among that level, but it's been about 6 months so I'm probably pretty rusty. As far as general math education, I'm pretty high college algebra level/right before calculus (have looked at calculus a little bit, but not much).

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4
    Typically you study calculus before linear algebra.

6. Dec 11, 2013 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be fine without it, however.

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Linear-Algebra-Fourth-Edition/dp/0980232716

This is the book we 'used' for my underwhelming course in intro to LA, it's abit wordy, but that's good for self-study. I think there is also a MIT open course that follows this text, so that might make it even better for self-teaching. The book itself is pretty good.

You might want to get a reference or use a free online book for some examples and more worked problems.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Dec 11, 2013 #6
    If they're interested in something proof based, I don't think they'd have the mathematical maturity without some experience with higher math.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Dec 11, 2013 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't call calc at that level higher math, but I understand your point.

Still, it isn't required per say, so it's up to them if they want to follow through or not.

9. Dec 11, 2013 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can study matrix algebra as soon as you study simultaneous linear equations, which can be in an algebra I or algebra II course in high school. Although you can use matrices and vectors in calculus, calculus itself is not a prerequisite for studying these concepts.

Here is a basic introduction to matrices and manipulating them:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-introduction.html

10. Dec 11, 2013 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds like you just need a refresher then ... the links above should be fine.

11. Dec 13, 2013 #10
    I think I know where I need to go/what I need to look at next. Thank you all for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted