Prerequisites for electrodynamics?

In summary, The person is struggling with learning electrodynamics due to not having the necessary prerequisite knowledge. They are looking for resources and clarification on the math concepts needed to understand the subject. A recommended book for understanding the necessary vector calculus is "Electromagnetic Fields and Interactions" by Richard Becker.
mpatryluk
Hi, I've had electrodynamics on my learning to do list for quite some time, but every time i start i get frustrated because it assumes prerequisite knowledge that i don't have.

Last time it was integrals, so i learned integral calc, and i have vector calculus to learn as well, but I am still confused as to where to find a lot of the stated prerequisites, or which category they fall into.

This is the list i am using for prerequisites: (under the mathematics heading)
http://www.physics.oregonstate.edu/~stetza/COURSES/ph631/Background.pdf

Half of that stuff i am aware is in my calculus book, but i am confused as to which topic would conventionally cover the other prereqs, i.e. laplace's equation, green's function, stokes' theorem, etc.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could just tell me the scope of maths i need to know to learn these prerequisites, i.e. "these concepts can all be found in linear algebra" or something.

Also, if anyone knows any electromagnetics text that gives a ground up explanation, that would also be very useful :)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That website is for a graduate level course. Are you looking for graduate level electrodynamics, or undergrad level? If undergrad level, do you already know intro (freshman/sophomore) electromagnetism, or are you starting from scratch? If grad level, typical "mathematical methods" courses/books would cover Green's functions, how to solve Laplaces equation, etc., and indeed the typical physics graduate student has seen that material in one form or another during undergrad.

I am only asking since you brought up calculus and no other math. If you just know basic calculus then the electromagnetism that you can reasonably learn is primarily at the intro level, from a typical general physics book (Halliday and Resnick, or any other that you may have or like). That is a good place for most of us to start anyway.

jason

For electromagnetism you need vector calculus in Euclidean [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], i.e., you should now about the differential operators, div, grad, curl, and line, surface and volume integrals for scalar and vector fields. That's a lot of stuff to learn. A very good book is

Richard Becker, Electromagnetic Fields and Interactions, Dover Pub.

It contains a chapter on vector calculus as needed for E+M and is a classic text on the subject.

What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, their interactions with matter, and the resulting electromagnetic phenomena.

What are the prerequisites for learning electrodynamics?

The prerequisites for learning electrodynamics include a strong understanding of calculus, vector calculus, and classical mechanics. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of electricity and magnetism.

Can I learn electrodynamics without a background in physics?

While a background in physics is not necessarily required, it is highly recommended. Electrodynamics builds upon many concepts from classical mechanics and electricity and magnetism, so having a solid foundation in these areas will make learning electrodynamics easier.

Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand electrodynamics?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is essential for understanding electrodynamics. This includes a solid understanding of calculus, differential equations, and vector calculus. Without these mathematical tools, it can be difficult to fully grasp the concepts and equations in electrodynamics.

Are there any specific mathematical topics that are particularly important for electrodynamics?

Yes, some key mathematical topics that are important for understanding electrodynamics include vector calculus, partial differential equations, and complex analysis. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of linear algebra and Fourier analysis.