Is Adult Rudin Suitable for Self-Study of Complex Analysis?

In summary, the prerequisites for reading "Adult Rudin" include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in real analysis, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. It is necessary to have prior experience with advanced calculus, including topics such as continuity, convergence, differentiation, and integration. Skipping the prerequisites is not recommended, as the book builds upon these fundamental concepts. If you do not have the necessary background knowledge, it is recommended to first study the fundamental concepts of mathematics or use online courses and textbooks. "Adult Rudin" can be used for self-study or as a textbook, but it is important to have a solid understanding of the prerequisites and to supplement your learning with additional resources.
pswongaa
I've learned some complex analysis from the book written by James Brown and Ruel Churchill, but I forget almost everything about complex analysis.
Would there be any problem if I study adult rudin directly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you comfortable with metric spaces and various notions of convergence & continuity (pointwise, uniform, equicontinuous, etc)?

That being said, Rudin is (imo) an awful choice and you should get another book.

Last edited:

1. What are the prerequisites for reading "Adult Rudin"?

The prerequisites for reading "Adult Rudin" include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in real analysis, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. It is also helpful to have knowledge of basic proof techniques and familiarity with the fundamental concepts of topology.

2. Do I need to have prior experience with advanced calculus to understand "Adult Rudin"?

Yes, a solid understanding of advanced calculus is essential for comprehending "Adult Rudin." This includes topics such as continuity, convergence, differentiation, and integration.

3. Can I skip the prerequisites and still understand "Adult Rudin"?

No, it is not recommended to skip the prerequisites for "Adult Rudin." The book builds upon these fundamental concepts and assumes a certain level of background knowledge.

4. How can I prepare for reading "Adult Rudin" if I do not have the necessary prerequisites?

If you do not have the necessary prerequisites for "Adult Rudin," it is recommended to first study the fundamental concepts of mathematics, particularly in real analysis and linear algebra. There are also online courses and textbooks available that can help you gain the necessary background knowledge.

5. Is "Adult Rudin" suitable for self-study or is it better to use it as a textbook?

"Adult Rudin" can be used for both self-study and as a textbook in a classroom setting. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in the prerequisites and to supplement your learning with additional resources and practice problems.