1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure and temperature changes adiabatically for an ideal gas?

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    Question:

An ideal gas, which is initially at a pressure of 4.05 atm and a temperature of 355 K is permitted to expand adiabatically to 1.51 times its initial volume.

A.
    Find the final pressure if the gas is monatomic.

I was thinking [tex]P_i \cdot V_i = P_f \cdot V_f[/tex]. But, I made no use of the information that the gas is monatomic. Later on, a question asks for the final pressure if the gas is diatomic. Well, my starting point wouldn't distinguish between the two, so it's not right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I would suppose you need to use the law for adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas. Of course, the ideal gas law holds as well.

[tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

Being monoatomic, the values for Cv and Cp are [tex]C_v = \frac{3}{2}R, C_p = C_v + R[/tex], which allows you to find gamma, as [tex]\gamma = \frac{C_p}{C_v}[/tex].

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reason you can't use [tex]P_i \cdot V_i = P_f \cdot V_f[/tex] is becuase the temperature does not remain constant.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Thanks mezarashi, that is what I needed.

Chi Meson, thanks for reminding me that temperature is not constant.

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    Can someone explain this further? I don't understand what to use for gamma

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    mezarashi had it right - gamma is the ratio of Cp / Cv.

Check your text for Cv of a monatomic ideal gas, and Cv of a diatomic ideal gas, then use the fact that Cp is Cv + R, for an ideal gas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?