Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pressure and temperature changes adiabatically for an ideal gas?

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    Question:

An ideal gas, which is initially at a pressure of 4.05 atm and a temperature of 355 K is permitted to expand adiabatically to 1.51 times its initial volume.

A.
    Find the final pressure if the gas is monatomic.

I was thinking [tex]P_i \cdot V_i = P_f \cdot V_f[/tex]. But, I made no use of the information that the gas is monatomic. Later on, a question asks for the final pressure if the gas is diatomic. Well, my starting point wouldn't distinguish between the two, so it's not right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I would suppose you need to use the law for adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas. Of course, the ideal gas law holds as well.

[tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

Being monoatomic, the values for Cv and Cp are [tex]C_v = \frac{3}{2}R, C_p = C_v + R[/tex], which allows you to find gamma, as [tex]\gamma = \frac{C_p}{C_v}[/tex].

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reason you can't use [tex]P_i \cdot V_i = P_f \cdot V_f[/tex] is becuase the temperature does not remain constant.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Thanks mezarashi, that is what I needed.

Chi Meson, thanks for reminding me that temperature is not constant.

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    Can someone explain this further? I don't understand what to use for gamma

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    mezarashi had it right - gamma is the ratio of Cp / Cv.

Check your text for Cv of a monatomic ideal gas, and Cv of a diatomic ideal gas, then use the fact that Cp is Cv + R, for an ideal gas.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook