Pressure applied to a completely enclosed fluid

In summary, the statement that is true for a completely enclosed fluid is that the pressure in the fluid is the same at all points within the fluid. This is known as Pascal's law, which states that the pressure exerted on a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions throughout the fluid. This means that any change in applied pressure will result in an equal change in pressure at all points within the fluid. This is true for both liquids and gases, but there may be minor differences in pressure for gases due to their compressibility. Overall, this concept can be confusing and may vary depending on the specific conditions and assumptions of the container.
KingTutATL
Which one of the following statements concerning a completely enclosed fluid is true?

a)Any change in the applied pressure of the fluid produces a change in pressure that depends on direction.
b)The pressure at all points within the fliod is independent of any pressure applied to it.
c)Any change in applied pressure produces an equal change in pressure at all points.
d)An increase in pressure in one part of the fluid results in an equal decrease in pressure
e)The pressure in the fluid is the same at all points within the fluid

I was thinking c). Just wanted to check.

Physics news on Phys.org
They look weirdly worded (to say the least), but I think it's supposed to be e

Tell me about it. My physics professor is a nightmare.

Isn't the pressure within a fluid going to be different at two different locations within the fluid?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law gives a nice little description.

It depends on the assumption of the container... is it considered small (i.e. all the fluid is at the same height)? If so, it would be choice 'e', otherwise it would be choice 'c'.

I suppose c is more general, so that would be the correct answer

Remember, both liquids and 'gases' are fluids. If it is a gas, there will be extremely minor differences in pressure across the cross section. If liquid, then there will be major differences in pressure from top to bottom.

I agree with you, kingtutATL. if you had a bowl of water in a vacuum and an identical bowl of water under atmospheric pressure, the pressure at corresponding points in the the two bowls would have a difference of 1 atm.

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area of a surface. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. In the case of a completely enclosed fluid, the pressure is equal to the force exerted by the fluid divided by the total area of the container.

What is a completely enclosed fluid?

A completely enclosed fluid is a fluid that is fully contained within a closed system, such as a sealed container or a closed pipe. This means that the fluid cannot escape or mix with any other substances outside of the system.

What happens to the pressure when a force is applied to a completely enclosed fluid?

When a force is applied to a completely enclosed fluid, the pressure within the fluid increases. This is because the force is distributed over a smaller area, resulting in a higher pressure at that point.

How does pressure affect a completely enclosed fluid?

Pressure affects a completely enclosed fluid by causing it to flow or compress. This can result in changes in the volume, density, and temperature of the fluid. Additionally, changes in pressure can also affect the behavior of the fluid, such as causing it to flow faster or slower.