Pressure drop along a pipe with a branch

In summary, @BvU found that the minimum pressure required for existing loads and the current load is 8 bar. He also found that if the pressure drop is too high, consider adding a separate line from the source to a point near the far end of the system.
adam_pedro
Hi,

I'm trying to determine if a compressed air system has sufficient system to feed a new load
The minimum pressure required for existing loads and the current load is 7 bar.

In order to determine the pressure at E i did a pressure loss calculation for the following
A to B - △P start of pipe to end of reducer
B to C - △P end of reducer to just before tee at C
At C i took out the 3 m3/h for load at G
C to D - △P from point just before tee at C to just before tee at D using 27 m3/h as flow
Then repeated the same process as C to D fro D to E

What i wanted to confirm is if the thought process I used is correct for estimating capacity?

Attachments

• branch network.png
    branch network.png
    9 KB · Views: 1,433
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hello pedro, :welcome:

What did you do with the fixtures ?
What pressure drops did you find ?

If p is 7 at the inlet, requiring pmin = 7 at the outlet is hopeless ...

BvU said:
hello pedro, :welcome:

What did you do with the fixtures ?
What pressure drops did you find ?

If p is 7 at the inlet, requiring pmin = 7 at the outlet is hopeless ...

I made a copy and paste error there. It's 8 bar at the inlet and 7 bar min for users.
We can ignore other fittings for the purpose of this discussion. Howere when i calculated pressure drop across the tee I use flow through tee as one of the fitting.
What i wanted to check is if the methodology is right?

##\Delta p\propto {1\over 2} \rho v^2\ ##, so the main pressure drop is determined by the 24 m3/h flow. Then CG and DE are pretty small corrections. If you want to do it in detail, some iterations may be necessary.

Likes adam_pedro
adam_pedro said:
What i wanted to confirm is if the thought process I used is correct for estimating capacity?

You have it right. Start at the beginning, and calculate the pressure drop one section at a time for the flow rate in that section. Just remember to calculate the pressure drop for each section using the pressure at the beginning of that section and correcting for the increased volume as the pressure decreases. Then, when you get to the end, start over using the average pressure for each section. This is the iteration that @BvU mentioned.

A one bar pressure drop is high for a compressed air distribution system. If your pressure drop is too much, consider adding a separate line from the source to a point near the far end of the system to make a big loop.

Likes adam_pedro
jrmichler said:
You have it right. Start at the beginning, and calculate the pressure drop one section at a time for the flow rate in that section. Just remember to calculate the pressure drop for each section using the pressure at the beginning of that section and correcting for the increased volume as the pressure decreases. Then, when you get to the end, start over using the average pressure for each section. This is the iteration that @BvU mentioned.

A one bar pressure drop is high for a compressed air distribution system. If your pressure drop is too much, consider adding a separate line from the source to a point near the far end of the system to make a big loop.

I forgot to account for the volume increase as pressure drops.
What I don't understand is the iteration aspect. What I am trying to achieve when I repeat the calculation using the average pressure for each section?

Good point. Since you only have branching off, one pass may be enough.

You are calculating compressible flow using an equation based on incompressible flow. The normal procedure is to find the pressure drop for a length of pipe, then divide the pipe into shorter lengths, recalculate for each shorter section, and add up the pressure drops. Repeat with shorter lengths until the total pressure drop is calculated to your desired accuracy.

Agree. Turns out ##\Delta p## is not negligible for BD to get an accurate answer.

I plan on uploading a worked example soon for review and for the benefit of future forum users

1. What is pressure drop along a pipe with a branch?

Pressure drop along a pipe with a branch refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid flows through a pipe that splits into multiple branches. It is a measure of the energy loss in the flow due to the branching geometry.

2. What factors affect pressure drop in a pipe with a branch?

The factors that affect pressure drop in a pipe with a branch include the fluid velocity, the pipe diameter, the number and size of branches, and the viscosity of the fluid. Other factors such as pipe roughness and fluid density may also play a role.

3. How is pressure drop calculated in a pipe with a branch?

Pressure drop in a pipe with a branch is typically calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and static pressure at different points along the pipe. Other methods, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation, can also be used to calculate pressure drop.

4. How does the shape of the branch affect pressure drop in a pipe?

The shape of the branch can have a significant impact on pressure drop in a pipe. A gradual branching angle will result in a lower pressure drop compared to a sharp angle, as it allows for a smoother flow transition. Additionally, the length and curvature of the branch can also affect pressure drop.

5. Is there a way to reduce pressure drop in a pipe with a branch?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce pressure drop in a pipe with a branch. These include increasing the pipe diameter, smoothing out the branching angle, and minimizing the number and size of branches. Additionally, using a more efficient fluid (e.g. lower viscosity) can also help reduce pressure drop.