Pressure drop does not match theory

In summary, the conversation revolves around a discrepancy in the pressure drop value obtained from a Fluent simulation compared to the theoretical value for a U-Pipe with laminar flow. The person seeking help has checked their calculations and believes that their theoretical answer is correct. They have also considered additional losses due to the bend in the pipe, but these are found to be negligible. Suggestions are made that the problem could be due to incorrect friction factor estimation or incorrect simulation settings in Fluent. The person seeking help also confirms their hand calculation and mentions the viscosity value used, which is questioned by another person in the conversation. The conversation ends with a request for checking the length of the tube used in the simulation and a suggestion to double check the viscosity value used.
Omish
I've modeled a U-Pipe with laminar flow. The pressure drop from Fluent is about 3 kpa , but by theory it should be about 6 kpa (checked several times and I'm sure)
My mesh is very fine and boundary conditions are vel-inlet and pre-outlet and wall. Would you please help me with the problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Based on which theory?

Likes Omish
boneh3ad said:
Based on which theory?
Darcy. The formula :
Delta P = f * (L/D) * (V^2/2) * rho

That likely suggests that your estimate for ##f## is incorrect, since the other values are pretty straightforward.

Likes Omish
boneh3ad said:
That likely suggests that your estimate for ##f## is incorrect, since the other values are pretty straightforward.
Since in laminar flow f = 64/Re and Re=rho*V*D/dynamic viscosity ,f is also easy to calculate. And I'm sure about my theoretical answer.I think there must be some kind of special setting or algorithm & method change in Fluent I should take care of.

The most obvious culprit with Fluent is that it is allowing the flow to be turbulent while your model assumes laminar flow. However, this would produce an error in the opposite direction. You'd expect a higher pressure drop in the turbulent case. In other words, if Fluent was modeling the flow as turbulent, you should see a higher calculated pressure drop, and your answer would tend to be higher than theory (if the theory is correct).

On the other hand, it is possible that, for a U-bend in the pipe, there would be additional losses associated with the bend that aren't accounted for in the Darcy-Weisbach equation. However, this again would tend to mean that your predictions get worse than they already are, not better. In other words, if all of your parameters in the Darcy-Weisbach equation were correct and the problem was leaving out losses associated with the bend, then you would expect that theory again is predicting less than Fluent (assuming your Fluent is correct).

The next best bet is that your friction factor is not estimated properly for the geometry that you put into Fluent or that something was wrong with your Fluent simulation. I don't know what to tell you there. Maybe your estimated your Reynolds number incorrectly or turned the wrong bells and whistles in Fluent.

Likes Omish
What do you get if you run Fluent for a straight pipe of the same length?

Likes Omish
boneh3ad said:
The most obvious culprit with Fluent is that it is allowing the flow to be turbulent while your model assumes laminar flow. However, this would produce an error in the opposite direction. You'd expect a higher pressure drop in the turbulent case. In other words, if Fluent was modeling the flow as turbulent, you should see a higher calculated pressure drop, and your answer would tend to be higher than theory (if the theory is correct).

On the other hand, it is possible that, for a U-bend in the pipe, there would be additional losses associated with the bend that aren't accounted for in the Darcy-Weisbach equation. However, this again would tend to mean that your predictions get worse than they already are, not better. In other words, if all of your parameters in the Darcy-Weisbach equation were correct and the problem was leaving out losses associated with the bend, then you would expect that theory again is predicting less than Fluent (assuming your Fluent is correct).

The next best bet is that your friction factor is not estimated properly for the geometry that you put into Fluent or that something was wrong with your Fluent simulation. I don't know what to tell you there. Maybe your estimated your Reynolds number incorrectly or turned the wrong bells and whistles in Fluent.
Thank you for you answer dear friend. The velocity is 0.585 m/s and D=0.01905 m, density= 992.3 kg/m^3, Dyn. viscosity=0.058 Pa.s . So Re number is about 190 and certainly it is laminar flow.
About loss for bend. Yes you are right and I have also considered and calculated them. They are very small compared with the main loss though since it's low Re problem. So makes not much difference. And as you said it makes the problem even worse.

Chestermiller said:
What do you get if you run Fluent for a straight pipe of the same length?
I also tried this way. The same results come out. Still the fluent pressure drop is half the theoric amount.
I even tried CFX to model it. Again the same results were achieved.

Omish said:
I also tried this way. The same results come out. Still the fluent pressure drop is half the theoric amount.
I even tried CFX to model it. Again the same results were achieved.
Let's see your hand calculation.

Likes Omish
e1a289f3ad.jpe
Chestermiller said:
Let's see your hand calculation.

What is your source for estimating viscosity? To me it looks like you are off by several orders of magnitude there.

I confirm your hand calculation of the pressure drop. So the error must be in the implementation of the Fluent calculation. It sounds like you did not use the correct tube length. Is that possible? Did you only use half the U?

boneh3ad said:
What is your source for estimating viscosity? To me it looks like you are off by several orders of magnitude there.
They are reported in a project of experimental work. I also tried with another case and material which had the viscosity of 0.108 Pa.s
The results were in the same manner. If you mean my viscosity amount is not normal what should be the range of normal viscosity?

Chestermiller said:
I confirm your hand calculation of the pressure drop. So the error must be in the implementation of the Fluent calculation. It sounds like you did not use the correct tube length. Is that possible? Did you only use half the U?

Did you check his value for viscosity? Assuming the working fluid is water (based on the density value he used), then his viscosity should be in the ballpark of 0.65×10-3 Pa⋅s, quite a bit lower than what he has used.

Omish said:
They are reported in a project of experimental work. I also tried with another case and material which had the viscosity of 0.108 Pa.s
The results were in the same manner. If you mean my viscosity amount is not normal what should be the range of normal viscosity?

What is your working fluid here?

Chestermiller said:
No I checked it several times. The lengths are all correct and the U-piep is modeled completely.

It's hard to imagine that Fluent would get such a calculation incorrect. This would have been their first validation check. Is the fluid non-Newtonian, with shear rate dependence? Is the difference exactly a factor of 2?

boneh3ad said:
Did you check his value for viscosity? Assuming the working fluid is water (based on the density value he used), then his viscosity should be in the ballpark of 0.65×10-3 Pa⋅s, quite a bit lower than what he has used.
I also tried the same geometry by water. The results were not correct. There was fault by almost 40 percent. My material here is a nanofluid of SN 500/CuO which is being modeled as a one-phase fluid, just like in experimental project.

Chestermiller said:
It's hard to imagine that Fluent would get such a calculation incorrect. This would have been their first validation check. Is the fluid non-Newtonian, with shear rate dependence? Is the difference exactly a factor of 2?
No it is Newtonian. But If it is more comfortable and confident let's go on with water. I think if the results with water become correct, the problem would be solved for my fluid too.

Chestermiller said:
boneh3ad said:
Let me solve the model with water one more time and tell you the exact theoric and Fluent answers. So we won't have to worry about the material anymore.

Let's keep our eye on the ball. The value of the viscosity is irrelevant to the comparison we are trying to make.

Likes Omish
Have you checked that you didn't accidentally mix up radius and diameter in your Fluent simulation?

Likes Omish
boneh3ad said:
Have you checked that you didn't accidentally mix up radius and diameter in your Fluent simulation?
Yes. I'm sure about this.

I found s.th about water test I had m
Chestermiller said:
Let's keep our eye on the ball. The value of the viscosity is irrelevant to the comparison we are trying to make.
boneh3ad said:
I tried again with water. But I changed the velocity to make it laminar flow. Something new I noticed. First I set Re to about 2300 (a bit less) and the fault was 16 percent (theoric=18.92 , Fluent=22.02 both pa). I thought the problem is solved ! BUT then again I set Re to about 190, and the fault became 57 percent ! So much difference.
So I think there's s.th wrong about low Re modeling. Can you help me with settings to make it right? What should I consider for LOW Re models?

Omish said:
So I think there's s.th wrong about low Re modeling. Can you help me with settings to make it right? What should I consider for LOW Re models?

Make sure the turbulence model is switched off. In the 'Viscous Model' tab, choose 'Laminar'.

Also note that the Darcy-Weisbach equation is valid for developed flow, so at the start of the bend you should have Poiseuille flow. You should have a sufficiently long piece of straight pipe before and after the bend in your simulation. Do you have this?

Likes Omish
bigfooted said:
Make sure the turbulence model is switched off. In the 'Viscous Model' tab, choose 'Laminar'.

Also note that the Darcy-Weisbach equation is valid for developed flow, so at the start of the bend you should have Poiseuille flow. You should have a sufficiently long piece of straight pipe before and after the bend in your simulation. Do you have this?
Viscos-Laminar model has been chosen all the time.
And I think it is long enough in start and end. L_e=0.06*Re*D=0.06*190*0.01905=0.218 m
My pipe geometry is exactly like this: 1 meter straight pipe, a 90 degree bend, 11 cm straight pipe, one more 90 degree bend, and 1 meter straight pipe again (almost U-shaped). So there's one meter in start which is 5 times greater than L_e and enough for being fully developed.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:

boneh3ad said:

bigfooted said:

I finally found the problem ! So weird. for straight pipes the answer is wrong also UNLESS you model them as AXISYMMETRIC ! for my geometry (U-shaped pipe) is it possible to model it axisymmetric? if not what can I do now?

Omish said:
I finally found the problem ! So weird. for straight pipes the answer is wrong also UNLESS you model them as AXISYMMETRIC ! for my geometry (U-shaped pipe) is it possible to model it axisymmetric? if not what can I do now?
I was just going to ask if you poked on 2D or axisymmetric.

I would think the following should apply:
2d would be a calculation for a depth of 1 m on the z-axis. ie z-axis into the page, x-axis left to right, y -axis top to bottom.

Axisymmetric would be around an x-axis of radius D/2, for say a round tube.
Your x-axis for your u-shape tube would be the radial centerline from end to finish.
Ansys should allow you to set up your grid for complicated shapes.

Likes Omish
256bits said:
I was just going to ask if you poked on 2D or axisymmetric.

I would think the following should apply:
2d would be a calculation for a depth of 1 m on the z-axis. ie z-axis into the page, x-axis left to right, y -axis top to bottom.

Axisymmetric would be around an x-axis of radius D/2, for say a round tube.
Your x-axis for your u-shape tube would be the radial centerline from end to finish.
Ansys should allow you to set up your grid for complicated shapes.
yes. I tried to use the centerline as my axis BC but Fluent gives errors and doesn't even run for 1 Iteration. The error is about diverging, but I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant; The cause I guess is that the axis is not straight but twisted because of U-shape.
any other suggestions?

can help me how to show pressure drop value in ansys fluent:wink::wink:

akbarff5 said:
can help me how to show pressure drop value in ansys fluent:wink::wink:
Please read the Rules and Guidelines for Physics Forums. If you want you questions answered on a subject different from that in a particular thread, merely start a new thread. Make sure you choose a descriptive title to attract members' attention, and clearly explain in detail what your problem is. Thank you.

1. Why does pressure drop sometimes not match theory?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One possibility is that there are experimental errors in the pressure drop measurement. Another possibility is that the fluid being used does not behave exactly as predicted by the theoretical model. Additionally, there may be external factors such as changes in temperature or flow rate that can affect the pressure drop.

2. Can experimental errors be the sole reason for the discrepancy in pressure drop?

No, it is unlikely that experimental errors alone can explain a significant difference between the measured pressure drop and the theoretical prediction. However, they can contribute to the overall discrepancy.

3. What factors can cause the fluid to behave differently than predicted by theory?

There are several factors that can affect the behavior of a fluid, such as changes in temperature, impurities in the fluid, or changes in the flow rate. In some cases, the fluid may also exhibit non-Newtonian behavior, which can lead to variations in pressure drop.

4. How can we improve the accuracy of pressure drop predictions?

To improve the accuracy of pressure drop predictions, it is important to carefully control experimental conditions and minimize sources of error. Additionally, using more advanced theoretical models that take into account factors such as fluid viscosity and non-Newtonian behavior can also help improve accuracy.

5. Are there any practical implications of pressure drop not matching theory?

Yes, discrepancies between measured pressure drop and theoretical predictions can have practical implications in industries such as chemical engineering and fluid dynamics. Inaccurate pressure drop predictions can lead to inefficient or unsafe processes, so it is important to understand and address any discrepancies that arise.