Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure for ideal gas in terms of stat.

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1

I am trying to deduce the expression for pressure of perfect gas when the momentum distribution [tex]n(p)[/tex] is given.

Here is how I did. First we assume a box with side length [tex]L_x, L_y, L_z[/tex], when a particle , say moving a long x direction, collide with one side of the wall, the total change of momentum would be

[tex]\Delta p_x = -2m v_x[/tex]

Assume it takes time t for one round-trip (from one wall to the oppsite and come back), hence

[tex]t = \frac{2L_x}{v_x}[/tex]

and 1/t is the rate of colliding.

Now consider the average impact per unit time,

[tex]\overline{f} = \Delta p_x \times (\textnormal{rate of colliding}) = 2mv_x \frac{v_x}{2L_x} = \frac{mv_x^2}{L_x}[/tex]

For N particles, the total average impact per unit time would be

[tex]\overline{F} = \sum_i^Nf_i = \sum_i^N \frac{mv_{ix}^2}{L_x}[/tex]

Hence, the pressure on the side [tex]A=L_yL_z[/tex] woule be

[tex]P = \frac{\overline{F}}{A} = \frac{\overline{F}}{L_yL_z}[/tex]

For continuous case, the average impact becomes

[tex]\overline{F} = \int \frac{pvn(p)}{L_x}dp[/tex]

So, the pressure becomes

[tex]P = \frac{\overline{F}}{A} = \int \frac{pvn(p)}{L_xL_yL_z}dp[/tex]

In unit volume, [tex]L_xL_yL_z=1[/tex], wehave

[tex]P = \frac{\overline{F}}{A} = \int pvn(p)dp[/tex]

I know there is something wrong here. The correct answer should be

[tex]P = \frac{1}{3}\int pvn(p)dp[/tex]

Well, I don't know where my reasoning is going wrong. From [tex]\overline{F} = \sum_i^N \frac{mv_{ix}^2}{L_x}[/tex] to [tex]\overline{F} = \int \frac{pvn(p)}{L_x}dp[/tex], I feel that there is something missing?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    Because when you say N particles with the side L_yL_z, you say that all of the particles move in the x direction. Whereas in average only one third of the particles move in the x direction.
    So you should divide the average rate of impact by three for all three directions...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?