Pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of extreme pressure on solid objects, specifically in an underwater environment. It is mentioned that under ocean pressures, a solid object like steel would not experience observable compression, but instead become hot. The comparison is made between the pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench and the pressure needed to compress steel, with the latter being significantly higher. Sources are also provided for further reading.
Minestra
I'm curious if anyone knows of a good video of an extreme amount of pressure being applied to a sold amount of metal or other dense object. We're learning about fluids in my class, and naturally we discussed submarines, empty bottles, etc. but everything mentioned seemed to be hollow on the inside. Such that as you go deeper you can see that the object will compress and eventually fracture I suppose. Of course I have no means to conduct the experiment myself, but I'm curious what would happen to an solid object that is also very dense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Under ocean pressures, do not expect observable compression of a dense solid like steel ... you can get much higher pressures, but the dominant effect would be to make the steel hot.

... 20-30GPa pressure can get compressions up to 25% (usually using explosives)...[1]
By comparison, the water pressure at the bottom of the mariana trench is roughly 1.1MPa or 0.0011GPa. [2]

[1] http://maeresearch.ucsd.edu/~vlubarda/research/pdfpapers/ijss-86.pdf
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(pressure)

1. What is pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal?

Pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal is the force per unit area that a fluid exerts on a solid surface. It is measured in units of force divided by area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal calculated?

The pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal is calculated by dividing the force of the fluid on the surface by the area of the surface. This can be represented by the equation P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force, and A is the area.

3. What factors affect the pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal?

The pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal is affected by the density of the fluid, the velocity and direction of the fluid flow, and the shape and orientation of the solid surface. Other factors such as temperature and viscosity of the fluid may also play a role.

4. How does pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal impact the solid material?

The pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal can cause the material to deform or even break if the pressure is too high. This is because the force of the fluid can exceed the strength of the material, leading to structural failure. However, pressure from a fluid can also be beneficial in certain applications, such as in hydraulic systems where it can be used to lift heavy objects.

5. How is pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal used in practical applications?

Pressure from a fluid on a solid piece of metal has many practical applications, such as in hydraulic systems, where it is used to transmit force and energy. It is also used in aerodynamics to calculate lift and drag forces on airplane wings, and in weather systems to measure atmospheric pressure. Additionally, pressure from a fluid on a solid surface is important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the stability and strength of structures.