1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure Gradient in Hydrostatic Equilibrium

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an isothermal atmosphere (T = const.) over a sufficiently small range of radii, so that you can assume that the gravitation acceleration g is constant. Use the equation for the gas pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium to show that the gas pressure decreases exponentially with height.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{dP}{dr} = -g\rho[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

so I solve the differential equation for P and I get

[itex]P = -\rho gr = \frac{-GM\rho}{r}[/itex]

I think I'm doing something really dumb here...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2
    Hi Shishkabob! :biggrin:

You need to re-check solving your differential equation. Is the density independent of pressure? Can you simply use it as a constant??

(Hint : Think about manipulating the ideal gas equation to form a relation)

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3
    oh okay, thanks for the tip. I found a relationship between the number density of the gas and the pressure, and so I had a differential equation that was dn/dr. Which I solved for the number density as a function of r and then just resubstituted stuff in for pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook