Does Curved Surface Shape Affect Pressure Distribution?

In summary, Arildno is suggesting that the pressure on a dam is greater due to the forces between the atoms on the surface. These forces are canceled by the axis but the pressure is the same no matter the shape of the container.
Gh778
For compute force from pressure on a surface, do I need take in account the red force ? When an atom press a surface it press atoms at right and at left, this increase the pressure on the curved surface if the volume is closed ?

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/3852/66o4.jpg

Or temperature cancel red forces ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the question. What is the red force?

What is your boundary line?
A continuous distribution of micro-atoms??

I consider the pressure come from top, like an object is in water (but liquid can be another than water).

mikeph said:
The red force come from left and right atoms that compress atom. An atom receive pressure from top (in a liquid under gravity like you put an object in a swimming pool). But atom receive pressure from another atoms in the same depth (black arrows) this give red force.

Boundary line is the surface. A circle is an atom.

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/3277/o3qc.jpg

mikeph said:

As I read the drawing, he has the atom on the lower left pushing upward and right on the atom in the middle. The force on the atom in the middle is represented by the upward-and-right pointing black arrow. Similarly, the atom on the upper right is pushing downward and left on the atom in the middle with its force represented by the downward-and-left pointing black arrow.

The two black forces are nearly equal and opposite. But not quite. Their vector sum is the outward-pointing red arrow.

As Arildno seems to be suggesting, perhaps this is a depiction of a cylindrical single-atom-thick shell under pressure.

gravity is perpendicular to the screen, like that it's easier to understand for me. If radius of atom is divided by 2, the angle decrease, the red force too but the number of red forces increase too.

Last edited:
The pressure at a "point" in a liquid is the same in all directions. No?

CWatters said:
The pressure at a "point" in a liquid is the same in all directions. No?

Pressure doesn't have a direction.

Gh778 said:
For compute force from pressure on a surface, do I need take in account the red force ? When an atom press a surface it press atoms at right and at left, this increase the pressure on the curved surface if the volume is closed ?

Yes the force between neighbor atoms creates a surface tension and that tension creates a pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the droplet due to the curvature of the surface.

Or temperature cancel red forces ?

Temperature's got nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
1/ This would say the pressure on a dam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam is bigger due to these forces ?

2/ If I place a tube full of liquid like the image show:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/3471/3btm.jpg

Red forces in the curvature are canceled by axis. But like sum of forces of all the tube is always zero, there are Fa and Fb forces. How the sum of torque can be to zero ?

Gh778 said:
1/ This would say the pressure on a dam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam is bigger due to these forces ?

The curvature of the dam is too large to have an effect. This effect is noticeable in cloud droplets which have microscopic curvature radii.

2/ If I place a tube full of liquid like the image show:

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/3471/3btm.jpg

Red forces in the curvature are canceled by axis. But like sum of forces of all the tube is always zero, there are Fa and Fb forces. How the sum of torque can be to zero ?

The forces in the curved part of the tube will not be exactly axial

The forces in the curved part of the tube will not be exactly axial

It's because the pressure of layer just above is lower ?

And what's cancel torque from Fb/Fa ?

Maybe it's easier with a square section.

Last edited:
Gh778 said:
The pressure is the pressure. It is what it is and isn't two different pressures at once. It does not get concentrated or focused by varying the shape of the container. This is a basic principle of how pressure works. And I'm quite sure we've explained this to you before.

Thread locked.

1. What is pressure on a curved surface?

Pressure on a curved surface is the amount of force per unit area exerted on the surface. It is the result of the weight of the fluid above the surface and the curvature of the surface itself.

2. How does pressure change on a curved surface?

On a curved surface, the pressure varies depending on the curvature of the surface. The pressure is greater on a surface with a smaller radius of curvature, and lower on a surface with a larger radius of curvature.

3. What is the difference between pressure on a curved surface and pressure on a flat surface?

The main difference between pressure on a curved surface and pressure on a flat surface is that on a curved surface, the pressure varies depending on the curvature, while on a flat surface, the pressure is constant and uniform.

4. How does the shape of a container affect pressure on a curved surface?

The shape of a container can affect the pressure on a curved surface by changing the curvature of the surface. For example, a container with a smaller radius of curvature will exert a higher pressure on the curved surface compared to a container with a larger radius of curvature.

5. What are some real-life applications of pressure on a curved surface?

Pressure on a curved surface is an important concept in various fields, such as fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and structural engineering. Some specific applications include calculating the pressure on the wings of an airplane, determining the strength of a curved dome structure, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes or containers with curved surfaces.