Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preventing them from closing tabs when a post is being written

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    Hi! I was just writing a quite long reply to a thread I have started, when I got a brain fart and suddenly closed the tab in which I had the thread open. I lost all the text I had written, including a lot of discussion and a couple of links to different research papers. I couldn't retrieve anything. Doh. I wish that this forum would warn users before closing a tab in which they have started to write a post, in order to save them from their own stupidity (in my case it is obviously necessary). Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I would expect a warning about closing a browser tab would be from your browser.

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Can the website even do this?

5. Aug 21, 2012 #4
    Sort of, but it's extremely problematic.

6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

Ryan_m_b

If I'm writing a long reply I always C&P regularly, sometimes into a word doc.

7. Aug 22, 2012 #6
    Yeah, that's a good habit, but usually I think that I will just write a short post and don't care about doing that. Like now. Then it turns out to become miles long. :P

8. Aug 22, 2012 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's happened to everyone at one point. If a post I'm writing starts to get long, I select and copy it, just so I have a copy in the cache.

9. Aug 22, 2012 #8
    That's quite smart too, I should also start doing that.

10. Aug 26, 2012 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For those who may be unaware of the shortcuts for select-all and copy:

<Ctrl> a
    <Ctrl> c

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook