Discovering the Wavelengths of Primary Colors of Light - A Student's Journey

• Thread starter mcnaryxc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the person is trying to make three LED lights corresponding to the primary colors of light. They asked their physics teacher for help and were told to find the wavelengths of the colors. The response is that there are no specific wavelengths defined as primary colors, but some common ranges for blue, green, and red LEDs are suggested. Additionally, the peak sensitivities for the pigments in our eyes may not align with these ranges.
mcnaryxc
Hey, I'm trying to make three LED lights that each are one of the primary colors of light. But, after discovering real fast that Radioshack doesn't sell the right kind, I asked my physics teacher for help. He said I need to go out and find the wavelengths of the three colors. And here I am! So, the question is: What are the wavelengths of the primary colors of light? I feel like I should be able to find it online but I'm having some trouble. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Also, tri-color LEDs are pretty common. These devices have three LEDs integrated into one small package.

- Warren

There is no specific wavelength corresponding to each primary colour. This is because the response of our eyes is spectrally broad. You are more likely to be restricted by the LED wavelengths available - I think something between 420-480 nm would be fine for blue, 500-540 nm for green and 600-700 nm for red.

Again, there are no specific wavelengths we define as being a primary colour.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
Again, there are no specific wavelengths we define as being a primary colour.

Actually, there are. The pigments in our eyes have peak sensitivities at specific wavelengths.

- Warren

chroot said:
Actually, there are. The pigments in our eyes have peak sensitivities at specific wavelengths.

- Warren

Sure, but the peak sensitivity for the red cones is at 564 nm, which is quite yellow. It therefore doesn't make sense to define primary colours on this basis.

Claude.

What is the purpose of discovering the wavelengths of primary colors of light?

The purpose of discovering the wavelengths of primary colors of light is to understand the properties of light and how it interacts with matter. This knowledge is important in fields such as optics, photography, and color printing.

What are the primary colors of light?

The primary colors of light are red, green, and blue. These colors are unique in that they can be combined to create all other colors in the visible spectrum.

How are the wavelengths of primary colors of light measured?

The wavelengths of primary colors of light are measured using a spectrometer, which separates the different wavelengths of light and allows for precise measurement.

What is the relationship between wavelength and color?

The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the light and the bluer the color appears. Conversely, the longer the wavelength, the lower the energy and the redder the color appears. This is known as the electromagnetic spectrum.

Why is it important for students to learn about the wavelengths of primary colors of light?

Understanding the wavelengths of primary colors of light allows students to comprehend the world around them and how it is perceived through the sense of sight. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the principles behind technologies such as cameras, televisions, and computer screens.