1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime Implicants of a Non-Coherent Fault Tree

1. Aug 19, 2015 #1
    I am stuck on some non-coherent fault tree analysis. I have a non-coherent fault tree for which the TOP event breaks down to TOP = AD' + DA' + A'E. These are (I think) some of the prime implicants of the fault tree. There is also another prime implicant ED'. I've been trying to work through it with De Morgan's laws but with no luck getting that final prime implicant (ED'). I've attached an image of the fault tree. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

So you have a boolean function:

$$TOP(A, D, E) = A \bar D + D \bar A + \bar A E$$

You would be correct. ##A \bar D, D \bar A,## and ##\bar A E## are prime implicants of the ##TOP## function because they are minimal implicants. We cannot expand the terms by removing literals because they would then become non-implicants. It is also worth noting these prime implicants cannot be covered by a more general implicant.

In fact, ##A \bar D, D \bar A,## and ##\bar A E## are the only prime implicants of the function because the function is a sum of minterms already.

What exactly are you trying to do here anyway? Are you trying to apply De-Morgan's laws to find different prime implicants?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted