Prove p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1 is Not Divisible by Any of These Primes

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime Proof
In summary, by using the Euclidean algorithm or modular arithmetic, it can be proven that p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1 is not divisible by any of the primes p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}. Therefore, the proposition holds true.
BustedBreaks
Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes. Show that [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is divisible by none of these primes.Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes
Let [tex]k \in N[/tex]
Assume [tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1=kp_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}}{p_{n}}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]
[tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n-1}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]

This is a contradiction because the left side will not be a natural number.

My issue is that this seems to only prove [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is not divisible by [tex]p_{n}[/tex] and not all [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex].

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BustedBreaks said:
My issue is that this seems to only prove [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is not divisible by [tex]p_{n}[/tex] and not all [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex].
That sounds right.

So, can you modify the proof to make it work for, say, p1?

Or, can you find a way to use what this argument proves to prove the general theorem?

Hurkyl said:
That sounds right.

So, can you modify the proof to make it work for, say, p1?

Or, can you find a way to use what this argument proves to prove the general theorem?

To make it work for [tex]p_{1}[/tex] I can just use [tex]p_{1}[/tex] instead of [tex]p_{n}[/tex], I guess. I don't know if that helps me see what to do...

I was thinking of writing something like what I had, but instead of [tex]p_{n}[/tex] on the right I would have [tex]p_{x}[/tex] where [tex]x\in{1,2,...,n}[/tex], but that seems weird.

BustedBreaks said:
I was thinking of writing something like what I had, but instead of [tex]p_{n}[/tex] on the right I would have [tex]p_{x}[/tex] where [tex]x\in{1,2,...,n}[/tex], but that seems weird.
That sounds perfectly reasonable -- you want to write a proof that works simultaneously for each of the px's, so you have to use a variable.

Incidentally, the other method I was hinting at is substitution. Substitute into the original argument the list of primes
p1, ..., pk-1, pn, pk+1, ..., pn-1, pk

BustedBreaks said:
Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes. Show that [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is divisible by none of these primes.Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes
Let [tex]k \in N[/tex]
Assume [tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1=kp_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}}{p_{n}}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]
[tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n-1}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]

This is a contradiction because the left side will not be a natural number.

Thanks!
I guess you are doing the proof of infinite primes.(=

By using euclidean algorithm , you can conclude the gcd of [tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] with [tex]p_{i}
[/tex] for i=1,2,3...n will be 1 with a sound argument (hint: recall co-prime)

OR,

By using modular , [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1\equiv1(modp_{i})[/tex] for i=1,2,3...n, recalling 1 is not a prime , you may draw a conclusion that suffices to prove your proposition.

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that a number is prime?

To prove that a number is prime, you must show that it is only divisible by 1 and itself. This is typically done by using a proof by contradiction method, where you assume that the number is not prime and show that this leads to a contradiction.

2. What is the Sieve of Eratosthenes?

The Sieve of Eratosthenes is a method for finding all prime numbers up to a given number. It involves creating a list of numbers and crossing out all multiples of each prime number until you are left with a list of only prime numbers.

3. Can you prove that there are infinitely many prime numbers?

Yes, the proof of this dates back to Euclid and is known as the Euclidean proof. It involves assuming that there is a largest prime number and then showing that this leads to a contradiction.

4. What is a prime factorization?

A prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors. This involves finding all the prime numbers that can divide into the original number evenly.

5. How can I use prime numbers in cryptography?

Prime numbers are often used in cryptography because they are difficult to factorize and therefore can be used to create secure encryption algorithms. For example, the RSA algorithm utilizes the multiplication of two large prime numbers to create a public and private key for secure communication.