Principal Stresses and Finding Shear forces

In summary: The maximum shear stress is then given by the equation:τ_{max}=\frac{P}{2A}In summary, to find the Normal Stress of face AB, the shear stress in BC and AC, and the maximum shear stress inside the rod, you can use dyadic tensor notation and the given input data to solve for P, α, and τ_{max}.
mm391

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the Normal Stress of face AB in the attached picture, the shear stress in BC and AC and the maxium shear stress in side the rod.

σx = 40N/mm^2
σy = 62.5N/mm^"
Area =314mm^2

Homework Equations

I have attached the relavent equation underneath the problem digram

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving σ2 i get ζxy to be 50N/mm^2

And then use that to find σ1. Is σ1 the normal stress in face AB. How do I go n to work out the rest.

To find P σ1=P/A you are given area so you can rearrange to find P.
Does ζxyyx

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    88.6 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mm391 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the Normal Stress of face AB in the attached picture, the shear stress in BC and AC and the maxium shear stress in side the rod.

σx = 40N/mm^2
σy = 62.5N/mm^"
Area =314mm^2

Homework Equations

I have attached the relavent equation underneath the problem digram

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving σ2 i get ζxy to be 50N/mm^2

And then use that to find σ1. Is σ1 the normal stress in face AB. How do I go n to work out the rest.

To find P σ1=P/A you are given area so you can rearrange to find P.
Does ζxyyx

The simplest way to solve this problem is to make use of dyadic tensor notation. The first step is to express the stress tensor in terms of its principal components:

[tex]\mathbf{σ}=\frac{P}{A}\mathbf{ii}[/tex]

where i is a unit vector directed to the right and parallel to P. Note that there is only one non-zero principal component of the stress tensor in this problem, namely P/A.

The unit vector i can be expressed in terms of the unit vectors in the x- and y-directions (on the figure) by the equation:

[tex]\mathbf{i}=-\mathbf{i_x}sin(\alpha)-\mathbf{i_y}cos(\alpha)[/tex]

If we substitute this relationship into the above equation for the stress, we obtain:

[tex]\mathbf{σ}=\frac{P}{A}\mathbf{i_xi_x}sin^2(\alpha)+\frac{P}{A}\mathbf{i_yi_y}cos^2(\alpha)+\frac{P}{A}(\mathbf{i_xi_y}+\mathbf{i_yi_x}) sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha)[/tex]

From this equation, it follows that

[tex]σ_x=\frac{P}{A}sin^2(\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]σ_y=\frac{P}{A}cos^2(\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]τ_{xy}=\frac{P}{A}sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha)[/tex]

You can use the first two of these equations to solve for P from your input data. You can also use the first two of these equations to solve for α. Once you know α, you can use the third equation to solve for τxy

1. What are principal stresses and how are they calculated?

Principal stresses are the maximum and minimum stresses that occur at a specific point on a material. They are calculated using the stress tensor, which is a matrix of stress components in different directions.

2. How do principal stresses affect the strength of a material?

The principal stresses determine the maximum amount of load a material can withstand before it fails. A material is considered to have failed when one of the principal stresses exceeds its strength limit.

3. How do you find shear forces in a material?

Shear forces can be found by analyzing the stress distribution in a material. Shear forces occur when two forces are applied in opposite directions parallel to the surface, causing the material to deform and experience shear stress.

4. What is the significance of the angle of inclination in principal stresses?

The angle of inclination is the angle between the plane on which the principal stress acts and the normal direction to that plane. It determines the direction of the maximum and minimum principal stresses and is important in understanding the failure mode of a material.

5. How do principal stresses affect the design of structures?

Principal stresses play a crucial role in designing structures. Engineers use the knowledge of principal stresses to determine the best orientation of structural components and to choose suitable materials that can withstand the expected stresses and loads.