1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear stress and normal stress

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    why the shear stress is maximum at the center ? while the normal stress is maximum at the boundary ?

ETpHIWJ.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    why shouldn't the shear stresss maximum at the boundary ? this is because shear stress is to pull the 2 surface apart

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why should shear stress be a maximum at the boundary? There is nothing being sheared there, i.e., the boundary is not being restrained.

4. Jun 26, 2016 #3
    I noticed one thing , why the normal stress is maximum and minimum at the boundary?

5. Jun 26, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the normal stress is produced as the result of bending, then the locations the furthest away from the neutral axis of the section will also have the highest stress, in tension and compression.

6. Jun 26, 2016 #5
    can you explain further? i still dont understand

7. Jun 26, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you understand what bending stress is? How it's calculated?

8. Jun 26, 2016 #7
    bending stress is shear stress?

9. Jun 26, 2016 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, bending stress is not the same as shear stress.

Bending produces normal stresses in a section, both compressive and tensile. Along the neutral axis, the bending stress is zero.

10. Jun 27, 2016 #9
    why the location further away from neutral axis will have maximum stress?

11. Jun 27, 2016 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the fibers at those locations undergo the greatest stretching/compression.

Look, instead of me spoon-feeding you elementary beam theory, it would probably be better for you to grab an elementary strength of materials text and learn this material first hand.

http://homepages.engineering.auckla...07_Elasticity_Applications_04_Beam_Theory.pdf

12. Jun 27, 2016 #11
    so , the normal stress is maximum on the the upper part of the beam , the normal stress is minimum at the lower part of the beam(expansion) ?

13. Jul 5, 2016 #12
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted