1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proabibility - Random variables independence question

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two variables, X and Y have a joint density f(x,y) which is constant (1/∏) in the circular region x2+y2 <= 1 and is zero outside that region
    The question is: Are X and Y independent?

2. Relevant equations
    Well, I know that for two random variable to be independent, multiplication of their marginal densities must equal their joint denstiy, i.e.
    f(x,y)=fX(x)*fY(y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem is I am confused about how to select the integration limits. I know how to do it when simple boundaries are given (like x<2 and y>1, etc.) but within a circular region, I just could not figuer out how to do it. Should I, for example, integrate y from -sqrt(1-x2 ) to sqrt(1-x2) or is that a wrong approach? How can I select the integration limits in a circular region? Is it a better approach to convert to polar coordinates first and then integrate?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    To be independent means that if I give you value of x, that doesn't increase your knowledge on value of y. If I tell you that x=1, can you tell me anything about y?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook