Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability after Rolling Dice

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    How does one calculate the probability of a sum of r in the dice rolls of n dice? Can a probability distribution be written for something like this, to calculate the probability of a sum greater than r, greater than or equal to r, equal to r, less than or equal to r, less than r, etc.?

I do not want to simply brainstorm solutions leading to a sum of r, unless it is easy to generalize from there to n dice (which, from my consideration of n=2 and n=3, doesn't seem like the case - I need a more general way of thinking about it).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Same way you calculate any probability - the number of ways it can happen divided by the total number of things that can happen.

Yes.

The more general way is above, and going through specifics does generalize eventually - it's just not so obvious. Perhaps revisit combinatorics?

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    What should I use to revisit combinatorics properly? I've read the Schaum's Outline but it doesn't seem to cover problems of this standard.

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Schaum probably has enough information to get you going - you only need the basic concepts: the bit before "combination" and "permutation" notation is defined.
    OR you can just http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath093.htm [Broken] and see how others have done it...

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Dec 21, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There is a general method related to the combinatorics of the problem. Consider the product:

[itex] (x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5 + x^6)^3 [/itex]

If you multiply it out and combine like terms then, for example, the coefficient of x^4 gives the number of sequences of 3 die rolls that produces a sum of 4.

This method is an example of using "generating functions" in combinatorics The term "generating function" has differnt meanings in different branches of math, so to search for the topic on the web, you should use a more specific search that the keywords "generating function". There are many examples on the web of using this type of generating function as a step in solving problems like "How many ways can you pay a dollar debt if you have 3 quarters, 5 dimes, and 6 nickels".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook