Probability Distribution function change of variables.

In summary: I'm stuck. I don't know how to do the integral. Can you please help?The Attempt at a SolutionAs I said, I'm not entirely sure.Something has to be done to change it into P_X I think. But I don't know how to do this.Or should I differentiate F to get f, the density function?But then what do I do?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks in advance.
tomtom690

Homework Statement

I have been given the distribution function F_X of the random variable X and I am asked to find the distribution function F_Y of Y, another random variable which is defined from X in the following way.

Y={[tex]\stackrel{X^{2} if X<2;}{4 if 2\leq X < 3;}\stackrel{4(4-X) if 3\leq X < 4;}{0 if X\geq 4}[/tex]

The distribution function of X is the following:

F_X (x)={[tex]\stackrel{0 if x<1;}{\frac{x+1}{10} if 1 \leq x < \frac{3}{2};}\stackrel{\frac{1}{3}(x-\frac{1}{2}) if \frac{3}{2} \leq x < \frac{5}{2};}{1 if \frac{5}{2} \leq x}[/tex]
I really have very little idea of how to start this, so any pointers at all would be brilliant. I have done a similar question to this before, but then did not start with the distribution, but rather the probability mass function. And we had to find something different at the end as well.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I'm not entirely sure.
Something has to be done to change it into P_X I think. But I don't know how to do this.
Or should I differentiate F to get f, the density function?
But then what do I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

After having previewed the post, it is clear that the stacking brackets thing hasn't worked. Please read it as Y having 4 conditions, and the F_X also having 4 conditions. I hope this is clear. The symbols for the imaginary i and the function f together should in fact simply read "if" ie Y= X^2 if X<2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your LaTeX. You can click on the image to see the code I used.
tomtom690 said:

Homework Statement

I have been given the distribution function FX of the random variable X and I am asked to find the distribution function FY of Y, another random variable which is defined from X in the following way.

[tex]Y(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
x^2 & x<2 \\
4 & 2 \leq x < 3 \\
4(4-x) & 3 \leq x < 4 \\
0 & x \geq 4
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

The distribution function of X is the following:

[tex]\renewcommand{\arraystretch}{1.3}
F_X(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
0 & x<1 \\
\frac{x+1}{10} & 1 \leq x < \frac{3}{2} \\
\frac{1}{3}(x-\frac{1}{2}) & \frac{3}{2} \leq x < \frac{5}{2} \\
1 & \frac{5}{2} \leq x
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

I really have very little idea of how to start this, so any pointers at all would be brilliant. I have done a similar question to this before, but then did not start with the distribution, but rather the probability mass function. And we had to find something different at the end as well.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I'm not entirely sure.
Something has to be done to change it into P_X I think. But I don't know how to do this.
Or should I differentiate F to get f, the density function?
But then what do I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

After having previewed the post, it is clear that the stacking brackets thing hasn't worked. Please read it as Y having 4 conditions, and the F_X also having 4 conditions. I hope this is clear. The symbols for the imaginary i and the function f together should in fact simply read "if" ie Y= X^2 if X<2.
FX(x) is not continuous. Are you sure it's defined correctly?

Last edited:
Yes. I think that may be the point of the question. Does it mean I can´t do it then? As the next part of the question asks me to split up the F_Y into the discrete and continuous parts- ie F = [tex]\lambda[/tex]F_1 +(1-[tex]\lambda[/tex])F_2
Which means it probably isn't continuous in the first place...?
Thanks.

I just thought it was kind of unusual. I'd probably start by finding the pdf of X.

OK I´ve managed to get slightly further on this..I think. I'm afraid you'll have to bear with the lack of Latex, as this computer I am at now doesn´t support it for some reason.
So I found the pdf to be
f_X(x) = 0 if x<1
1/10 if 1<=x<3/2
1/3 if 3/2<=x<5/2
0 if x>=5/2

Next, given that Y=g(X) as defined before, I can say that X=sqrt(Y) , X=0, X=(16-Y)/4, and X=0

To find the distr function F_Y(y), which is P(Y<=y) I can say that working in the interval [0,4) , F_Y(y) = P(0<x<=sqrt(y))+P(x>=(16-y)/4)

Now to do this I know you need to integrate, and then do some adding, because on this interval the pdf of x is both 1/10 and 1/3, but I am unsure of the limits of integration...
I think it should be "integrate '1/10' between 1 and (sqrt(y))" + "integrate '1/10' between (16-y)/4 and 5/2" and then the same for 1/3.

Then F_Y(y) = 0 if y<0
"the answer to the above" if 0<=y<4
1 if y>=4

Is this correct? Or have I made some stupid mistake somewhere...?

However, next, I have to split it into the discrete and continuous dist functions, as I mentioned earlier, however using the dist above, I get P_F({0}) = -13/20 which I'm pretty sure is not allowed...

And then I don't really know where to go from there.

Thanks again, and sorry for such a long waffley reply!

tomtom690 said:
OK I´ve managed to get slightly further on this..I think. I'm afraid you'll have to bear with the lack of Latex, as this computer I am at now doesn´t support it for some reason.
So I found the pdf to be
f_X(x) = 0 if x<1
1/10 if 1<=x<3/2
1/3 if 3/2<=x<5/2
0 if x>=5/2
That's not complete. If you integrate that function, it doesn't come out to be 1. You need to account for the discontinuities in FX.

Sorry I have no idea how to do that! I'm not sure I've ever been taught it. Though obviously it is necessary to do this question! Could you explain how, please, or point me in the direction of somewhere that can? Thanks very much!

Hint: The discontinuities have to do with the discrete probabilities.

1. What is a probability distribution function (PDF)?

A probability distribution function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value or falling within a certain range of values. It is often used to describe the likelihood of different outcomes in a statistical experiment or study.

2. What is the purpose of changing variables in a PDF?

Changing variables in a PDF allows us to transform the original distribution into a new distribution that may be easier to work with or more meaningful in a specific context. It can also help us make predictions about the behavior of a random variable in different situations.

3. How do you change variables in a PDF?

To change variables in a PDF, we use a mathematical technique called the change of variables method. This involves substituting a new variable for the original variable in the PDF and then applying a conversion formula to adjust the probabilities accordingly.

4. What is the importance of understanding change of variables in probability distributions?

Understanding change of variables in probability distributions is important because it allows us to manipulate and analyze data in a more efficient and meaningful way. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of random variables and make more accurate predictions based on different scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to changing variables in a PDF?

Yes, there are limitations to changing variables in a PDF. This method is only applicable in certain situations and may not always yield accurate results. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and may be challenging for some individuals to grasp.