1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability - Exponential Function Question

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particular species of mollusk is distributed according to a Poisson process with an unknown density of lambda per cubic meter of water. A sensor is constructed that can detect these species that are within 4 m, and n readings are collected over a year to try and measure lambda. These readings are independent, and so the number of readings that detect a mollusk has the distribution X~Bi(n,p) for some unknown value of p.

p is estimated to be approximately 0.7.

Problem: Let Y be the distance from the sensor to the nearest mollusk.
    Show that the c.d.f. of Y is of the form
    F(y) = 1- e-(lambda)(4/3pi y3 if y >0.

b) Find the p.d.f. of Y and use it to compute E(Y).

2. Relevant equations
    gamma(4/3) = 0.8929795

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not so much worried about part a), but I tried part b) and I'm getting nowhere. I took the derivative of F(y) to get f(y) (the p.d.f) and got f(y) = 4pi(lambda) y^2(e-(lambda)(4/3 pi*y3, and then for E(Y), I multiplied that by y and took the integral from 0 to infinity of that. I read in my textbook that for the basic proof of expected value, you're supposed to make a substitution for theta = 1/lambda, and then substitute more values to make this integral look like the gamma function. So I substituted x = 4pi/3theta y^3 (to make the power of e = -x) and then what im left with after simplifying is... the integral from 0 to infinity of e^-x dx... I'm pretty sure thats wrong though... since the problem tells me I should be using the gamma function of 4/3 for something.. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did you write dy in terms of dx?

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    yeah I did.. then everything cancelled out.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sounds like you didn't multiply by y then. You calculated E(1), not E(y).

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5
    Ah, okay, I solved it now. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook